experiences with longnose hawkfish

Still_human

Ive always loved, and am about to breakdown and finally get a longnose hawkfish, but almost everything Ive read anywhere basically says they can anything from one end of the scale to the other, as far as everything(temperament, eating smaller fish, being able to be kept with shrimp/big shrimp, you name it!). Ive come to the conclusion all shrimp, and hermit crabs are out, but snails, starfish, and cucumbers and such, are fine. No smaller gobies and blennies, or other small fish(when hawkfish is large), but if it's too big to eat, most individuals won't be aggressive towards anything else(other hawks?). Are they particularly attractive targets for bully fish?

Does anyone feel differently about them? Is there anything important I'm not taking into consideration?

On another, but similar topic, what are anyone's experiences with flame and falco hawkfish? I won't be getting those, but in my experience and knowledge, falcos are fairly aggressive, but flames are the most aggressive of the hawkfish. This is just a disagreement between me and someone else, who believes that those 2 are the most peaceful of hawkfish, and are possible candidates for reef tanks. I say he's lost his %#$& mind! 

*of course temperaments of individuals can be different, but fish can still be generalized into specific categories as a species. I just don't know which to go by with the longnose, or if maybe some info is coming from unusual individuals?

I have a pair of longnose hawkfish in my reef. They don't bother snails, shrimp, or hermit crabs. They did harass a royal gramma to death. I replaced the gramma  with a male Bartlett's anthias, which they constantly harassed and it disappeared during one of my vacations. I added a trio of Bartlett's and the hawkfish initially gave chase but they couldn't keep up and eventually stopped trying, so all is peaceful now.

On 12/22/2018 at 6:15 PM, cpu933k said:

I have a pair of longnose hawkfish in my reef. They don't bother snails, shrimp, or hermit crabs. They did harass a royal gramma to death. I replaced the gramma  with a male Bartlett's anthias, which they constantly harassed and it disappeared during one of my vacations. I added a trio of Bartlett's and the hawkfish initially gave chase but they couldn't keep up and eventually stopped trying, so all is peaceful now.

Oh wow, that's great to know! Thank u for telling me!!! I actually have him in a QT with a tiny convict blenny. PROBABLY just barely too big for him to actually eat, but they seem to get along totally fine. I added them together, so that could be the ticket. I was planning on both, and both were in dangerous situations, so I just went for it and got em together. But I'm still worried about adding any small stuff later tho. I probably won't be adding anything small anyway tho, so hopefully it won't come up.