is this good or bad

Prinz

i have this " thing " started growing on the frag tile of one of my acans can anyone id this? and is this good or bad

thanks2e64a719cc668a384943ab2eab243222.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The growth pattern is very interesting - like a line drawing almost? Is it growing quickly? What's the texture? Is it soft like a sponge? Calcareous (hard and plated)? Keep taking pictures so we can see how it evolves over time.

you are right, the growth pattern is very interesting it changes with the flow it used to be circling the base of the acan now it has taken a different pattern, what u guys suggest should i isolate it or should i just keep an eye on it for the time being? it started about a month ago, the texture, i have not dare touch it but i will prolly be checking out the texture tomorrow or in the coming days

If you're super concerned about it - to the point that you're more concerned about it being bad than curious about what it might be - take it out and scrape it off. If it were me, I'd let 'er grow to see what it is, as long as that frag didn't cost too much. 

If you have the means to isolate it in a QT tank it certainly wouldn't hurt to do so. 

If it were me, I'd leave it in to see what happens too. It doesn't look like it's damaging the acan. Might want to put the entire frag plug on a frag rack or it's own piece rock. That way, as the mystery life form spreads, if you find it is undesirable and want to remove it you can just clean the frag rack or chuck the rock ... versus trying to clean your sand bed or other rocks nearby.

Edited by malacoda

I was guessing colonial tunicates too... can you see any tiny siphons where the dots are on it?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, mari.harutunian said:

Colonial tunicates? Small ones

Good call. There are a picture of several that look similar to this one in this reefs.com article by one of our recent speakers, James Fatherree. Positively identifying the siphon openings as ReefdUp mentioned will nail it.