Need help seperating magnets!!

CK Reef

I bought the AlgaeFree Great White to clean my glasses a few weeksnago. I know how strong those magnets are and I have been very careful about it. Last night, I took it out of the tank after cleaning and put a big piece of hard foam (originally came with it) in the middle. After doing WC today, I realized the magnet some how was stick together :(. I probably touched it somehow while I was cleaning and moving things around. I've been trying for hours to seperate them but had no luck. Does anyone know how to seperate them? 

Thank you very much in advance,

CK

Instead of trying to pull them apart, try to slide them apart, if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Instead of trying to pull them apart, try to slide them apart, if that makes sense.

I tried >_<. That's how I took them apart under water with 3/4" glass in the middle. They are incredibly strong. I'm thinking about getting some clamps from HD tomorrow ....

I tried >_<. that how i took them apart under water with glass in the middle. they are incredibly strong. thinking about getting some clamps from hd tomorrow ....>

Try pushing the bottom one against a counter while trying to push the top one to make it slide onto the counter.

Are you able to twist the two halves around, to reverse the magnet polarity? I have Pirhanas but not Great Whites, so I really don't know what you're up against. Be careful about exerting too much force on the plastic (in-tank) half as it's largely hollow and might crack.

Were you able to get it separate?

I had that same problem years ago with the same magnet. I can't remember how I got it out.  I think I clamped on one side onto the table or kitchen counter and twist it to the side. 

1 hour ago, flooddc said:

Were you able to get it separate?

I had that same problem years ago with the same magnet. I can't remember how I got it out.  I think I clamped on one side onto the table or kitchen counter and twist it to the side. 

There's an idea in that thought: Clamp one half to something large so it's basically fixed. Then use another clamp or something with some length to gain leverage, then twist.

Be careful, whatever you do.  The fingernail on my thumb hasn't grown right for about 3 years after a magnet cleaner mishap.  It hurt so much when it started smashing the thumb that I couldn't gather enough strength to get it off so it stayed on for quite a while and the swearing just got louder and louder, heh.

I used a small workbench vise and a pair of large channel locks to separate a pair. 

One magnet goes in the jaws of the vise.  Use the channel locks to twist off the second magnet.  Mine came off very easy.

Have an appropriate spacer on hand to put between the magnet halves.

Thank you guys so much for the advise. I'll probably look into some workbench this weekend. I have been very careful with that magnets and always have a spacer between them whenever I took them out after cleaning. I might dropped it accidentally last night so the spacer fell off and the magnets stuck together :(.