Lid for the Tank

PRinFairfax

I am considering getting a lid to put on my 55Gal.  The reasons are to help prevent evaporation and jumpers.  I would have like 10"x2.5" cutouts in the back corners for wires and the lights.

Is this even a good idea?

I'm concerned about it changing the light strength, reflections, etc.  

To be honest, not even sure it will help will evaporation 

Agreed. You'll see the drops that form on the glass, dripping back into the tank. The problem is, those same drops scatter light, reducing the amount of light that reaches into your tank. 

A netted top can be used to contain jumpers. It won't do a thing for evaporation, though. (Inevitably, it seems, jumpers find those cutouts.) 

The glass top configuration that you're describing might tend to increase water temperature under certain lighting - especially if a canopy is involved. The biggest impact, though, will be to light penetration.

I’ve done it on a couple previous tanks (softies and fish only) for the same reason and the part I hated the most was the increased maintenance due to salt creep.  Also if you don’t keep up with wiping the underside of the glass (where the condensation accumulate), you could get a permanently cloud burnt into the glass.