Pod Hotel

lynn.reef.nerd

Interesting. A few years back, hobbyists did something similar with: a) a pile of small rubble rock; and b) a plastic bath pouf (the netted type). Both provide refuge too small for predators to enter.

I tried the rubble pile and my big clump of cheato had much more pods than the "hotel". The rubble became a detritus trap too

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Looks like the square box wouldn’t be much of a detritus collector. However, if you have space for a refug chaeto would likely host more pods. It looks like it comes with shelves. I’d be curious to see how many come out in each one. I’d be nice to take one out every so often and shake them out in the display.

What Tom said. Worked great for me, just rubble rock and a plastic netting. Costs $3 vs $25 plus shipping.

Cheato has always been the best pod hotel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made one out of the same material. It is a corrugated plastic that you can buy at most hardware stores. I found live rock and Cheato worked better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Chaeto's great. (It might be a little tougher to find an inconspicuous place for it in your display, though.) You can get bath poufs at the dollar store for a buck. You can unbundle it and cut it to size, scrunching it back up and hiding it behind rocks.

The whole point of any of these "pod hotels" is to create a space for pods to hide and reproduce that's protected from predators. Since most pod predators (fish, shrimp, and maybe the occasional crab) are larger than the pods  themselves, these "pod hotels" normally feature volume accessed through openings large enough for the pods but too small for the predator. The added surface area may also provide surface for things to grow that pods might use as food (bacterial films, sponge, algae), but that's only a guess on my part.

Anyway, most solutions that meet this simple criteria would probably be effective.