lighting recomendations

sigel7

Having spent a few months with the AquaticLife fixture, it delivers pretty weak PAR numbers from the T5s. I'm not sure if there is any one component to blame but numbers are considerably lower than an equivalent ATI fixture; I suspect it's a combination of the the reflectors (cheap), heat, and a less than stellar ballast. Because of this, you'll want to run it lower than most T5 fixtures which doesnt compliment many LEDs (Kessils are about the only one I'm aware of that have excellent spread at low mounting heights). I wouldnt mount the fixture more than 8" above the surface and closer to 6" provides better results which pretty much eliminates the Hydras and Radions as a good option. A pair of Primes might work well in that range but something like the A160 is probably a better option because of the superior optics at this mounting height. If you mount the fixture any higher, PAR is pretty dismal from the AquaticLife. Not something I'd purchase again but it is working well in the current configuration. 

Compare the LET retrofit numbers to the Hybrid column (two 48" ATI T5s in the LET compared to four 48" ATI T5s in the AquaticLife). 

42814332745_9dae4f83da_h.jpg

45927730962_8b36635713_b.jpg

Edit: I run the 16" end plates on the AquaticLife fixture to bring the lights a little closer which helped PAR results slightly in the results above). The original 18" end plates will work well on the 24" width of your tank. 

Edited by madweazl

Thanks for the great response and your opinion. Probably will look in another direction. Any thoughts on 2 Hydra 26, kessil 360x or radion?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, sigel7 said:

Thanks for the great response and your opinion. Probably will look in another direction. Any thoughts on 2 Hydra 26, kessil 360x or radion?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you're using them stand alone, all will grow corals but the Hydras and Radions seem to perform best when they're mounted quite high (16-20" above the waterline) while the Kessils do best in the 6-8" range. If the Kessils are mounted higher, light spills over the top of the tank and PAR falls off dramatically. All are good options when it comes to LEDs.

Our A360x should arrive Tuesday and I'll start collecting data on it (also sending one to Dana Riddle for some more extensive testing).