Good LFS for fish/shrimp

realypk

Hey guys,

My mixed reef tank is nice and cycled, running well, I have a CUC in there to eat the unwanted algea growth and a few corals that seem to be doing ok so far. All nice and stable, my issue is that I'm now in need for some livestock as I don't feel like constantly having to dose ammonia. Are there any marine LFS's out here in the northern Virginia area that have reasonable prices (Ie similar to online prices) and healthy good stock? If not similar pricing any that have good selection and healthy stock? The only place I've been in the NOVA area so far is Reefescape whose prices I thought were on the high side and selection a bit limited on livestock. I live in ashburn and work in arlington so somthing reasonably close less than 30mins from either or on the route would be good. I also frequent Leesburg area a fair bit. 

I dont want to order a bunch of fish all at once from an online vendor as i like adding livestock slowly as the health of the animal is very important to me and shipping costs kinda necessitate bigger orders online. 

Edited by realypk

Congrats on the cycle!

Seems like all the retail locations have pretty high prices but I've been to quantum reefs a few times and they have some nice looking corals.

Also looks like a lot of people sell some really nice stuff on here too.

-A-a-ron

Thanks A-a-ron!

90 gallons of total water with about 11x flow rate, that's measured water in the entire system and accounts for the amount of rock and sand displacement, sans those it would have more water. It's essentially a 75gal with an extra large sump giving it more water volume than normally possible. I didn't want to add those two beautiful clowns i saw recently because i'd hate for them to be in a tank sans anemone, just getting tired of dosing ammonia really lol so may need to bite the bullet and either overpay or risk it with a petsmart acquisition.

Not looking for large fish seeing as they would not have that much room to swim, but looking more for teeming with life feel. 

Edited by realypk

Reef Escape is more expensive but my understanding is that they do an in-house quarantine with copper treatment when they receive fish.  You also have Supreme Reefs just off the beltway which has a very cool operation going with fish but largely focused on corals and some really high end corals.  It could a little out of your way but you have Blue Ribbon Koi near Manassas and Capital Aquarium in Manassas. BRK has a great selection of fish and corals. You also have Quantum Reefs which I have only been too once a few years ago and I dont recall good or bad about that LFS.  

In a nut shell I really like Reef Escape and Blue Ribbon Koi for fish and I really like Supreme Reef and Blue Ribbon Koi for Corals.

Very nice thanks so much for that! I'd never heard of blue ribbon koi and even if I did with a name like that I would have just skipped over it assuming its a pond shop!!!!

This is a rock flower  that I bought at Blue Ribbon Koi last weekend. They also had about 20 awesome clams when I was there but I have no idea what s left.

rfa.JPG.e86301bc6e042398b5195dd9c2e859b6.JPG

Whaaaat?! I just was in Manassas and searched for nearby aquarium stores. Got all sad when I didn't see a reef shop nearby! Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

When I go I think I'm going to have to tell the owner about the problem of their name/search results. As I was looking in the area too and think i remember seeing it and just glossing over cause Koi = pond to me. Perhaps should add Koi & Reef or something like that. He's probably lost a lot of business to this. 

Folks, use our LFS map which you can access from the top of our webpage. It's mostly up to date. Help us with corrections and additions if you have them.

BRK's been in business a few decades and has been a WAMAS sponsor for longer than I've been around here. I think that he's doing alright. More recently, he's added Blue Ribbon Koi & Marine, and Blue Ribbon Aquatics to the nameset, though. BlueRibbonAquatics.com redirects to his site at BlueRibbonKoi.com. If you go to the webpage, though, it says Blue Ribbon Aquatics.

Technically, he's not in Manassas, but a little outside of town in a small place called Catharpin. I think that you'll still find him if you search in Manassas, though.

If you have a Koi Pond, you'll know that the bulk of John's business probably comes from those, not saltwater! 

John has some huge and beautiful koi.  My kids always want to go with me to his place to see the "huge fish".  They're like puppies too.  They want the koi chow that John sells for kids to give em.  

It's far away but Pacific East aquaculture is excellent and has good prices. They are at most of the meetings and can sell you what you need then.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, sen5241b said:

It's far away but Pacific East aquaculture is excellent and has good prices. They are at most of the meetings and can sell you what you need then.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

They ship to our area for $10, IIRC.  And they’re a sponsor.  :)

Yes, $10 ground (which is 1 day to most of our area). But for the live arrival guarantee to be valid, you have to hold for pick up at a ups facility.

Edited by cpu933k

I live in Ashburn too.  Just head south on Belmont Ridge Road and follow your GPS to Blue Ribbon Koi.  Worth the trip for fish and corals. 

Cant go wrong with Reef Escape also