Flow Advice

lynn.reef.nerd

I need some advice on flow.

The attached picture is a 45 gallon tank.

I currently have the return flow on the top right and an IM Wavelink Pump on the top left.

I want to swap the IM pump to a Maxspect XF230 Gyre.  Should I mount it horizontally on the left side of the glass or vertically to the back left?

Any suggestion appreciated.

Inked20181107_anemone_LI.jpg

Edited by littlelise1985

Could you do vertically on the back left and swap around one of the two cages so that you could run it in opposing directions?  I used to run my 75g tank in an alternating gyre flow configuration and I think it worked really well.  I could get the water circulating in one direction over about 10 minutes and then it would gradually switch over to circulate in the other direction.

11 minutes ago, AlanM said:

Could you do vertically on the back left and swap around one of the two cages so that you could run it in opposing directions?  I used to run my 75g tank in an alternating gyre flow configuration and I think it worked really well.  I could get the water circulating in one direction over about 10 minutes and then it would gradually switch over to circulate in the other direction. 

Alan,

I will try that. I'll let you know how it goes! thanks.

Alan's approach is intriguing. The only possible issue that I could see with a vertically mounted Gyre would be whether or not your sand would stay in place. Drifting sand might put a cap on how fast you'll be able to run the Gyre. I think that between a vertical and horizontal mounting, given the rock-island you have there, the vertical mounting would reward you with more of a true gyre effect.

Yes, I saw that. And that is why a vertical mount will likely give you something closer to a true gyre. The only challenge would be keeping the sand from drifting too much since part of a vericallt-mounted pump would be set lower and closer to the sand.

In that arrangement, practically any pump should be able to set up a rotating flow. But the Gyre will create a broader flow closer to laminar, with the ability to switch directions.