Gyre or traditional Powerheads

ImGoingCoastal

So I've been out of the game for a bit and am just coming back into it.

I'm working on setting up (slowly!) a 40 gallon and am looking at powerheads.

I'm not familiar with the gyres.

Am I better off going with 2+ jebao powerheads, an MP10, or one of the ice cap Gyres?

-A-a-ron

I don't have a Gyre but they look too powerful for a 40 gallon.  I know they are programable but I think they are too expensive for that tank. I would go with something smaller maybe with 700 GPH or so.

Edited by paul b

I was in the same dilemma a few months ago. I ended up choosing the Vortech.

1. Easy maintenance. Many of the gyre i have seen look "dirty".

2. Low profile.

3. Ease of use.

4. Been around for a long time and proven to be very good with good user ratings.

29 minutes ago, ImGoingCoastal said:

I had an MP10 on my 40. Loved it, just wish I had two. Unfortunately, my budget won't allow me to afford two of them at this time.

-A-a-ron

Well, black friday is coming! Maybe we will see some deals. I'm waiting to see what they have also. Probably will try to stock up on things I use a lot of (carbon, 2-part, etc.).

16 minutes ago, ImGoingCoastal said:

I'm debating on pulling the trigger on my tank (DFS has a 20% off coupon) but like you said. Black Friday is right around the corner.

-A-a-ron

Just make sure you can use those coupons for items that are under MAPs. They always restrict coupons.

I have 2 MP10s on my 40B. They're only 25-30% on reefcrest mode. Love them. But since you can't angle them, you have play with their position a bit so that you can have surface agitation and bottom flow at the same time. They are quiet, but NOT silent. I've been tempted to try the shear flow of the gyre pump.     

Check For Sale forum here and other saltwater sites often. I got a BNIB MP10wqd for $200 shipped. Doubt Black Friday deal can beat that. 

2 hours ago, ImGoingCoastal said:

I'll probably go Jebao at first then once the funds return, get one of the fancy ones.

I think that's a reasonable decision. Being able to break up dead zones with some flow is made easier when you have more control over positioning and pointing your powerheads. The upside in a 40G tank is that you don't need a very powerful pump. The downside is that a fully internal and pointable pump has a comparatively large presence in the tank. 

These Gyres seem interesting and aren't quite at the ecotech price point so maybe there will be one in my future. Though not having wires in the tank is a definite plus.

Ugh, I cant wait to hurry up and get my tank wet! Rock is currently cooking in a Rubbermaid container in advance of this. Hopefully I can beat my cycle now!

-A-a-ron

27 minutes ago, ImGoingCoastal said:

These Gyres seem interesting and aren't quite at the ecotech price point so maybe there will be one in my future. Though not having wires in the tank is a definite plus.

Ugh, I cant wait to hurry up and get my tank wet! Rock is currently cooking in a Rubbermaid container in advance of this. Hopefully I can beat my cycle now!

BTW, I have two gyres and four MP40's in my tank. The gyres set up a full-tank current that reverses every 6 hours while the Vortechs eliminate deadzones and add some localized randomness. I've also used an earlier generation of the Jebao pumps in my tank before and found that their low cost was offset some by the failure rate. They'd last a year or two before needing to be replaced (in many cases, because of a controller failure). Since then, their product offering has broadened, but I'd be curious as to how their reliability has fared, too.