New to the Area! Amateur Reefer.

Hey everyone, my name is Justin and I'm an Active Duty Marine who just got stationed in Quantico from San Diego. I've been in the hobby for about 3 years and am anxious to learn from, and meet all the members in the area! I just set my tank back up and it's been cycling for about 6 weeks. Info below and pic attached.

Tank Info:

AquaJapan 44 w/ Starphire glass

16 gal sump w/ custom chambers

Maxspect R420R w/ upgraded lenses

Maxspect Gyre

eShopps Protein Skimmer

Jebao return pump (w/ hard plumbing)

Eheim heaters

Lowe's grow light (will be replacing with H80 Tuna Flora)

Let me know what you guys think!

image1.jpeg

Nice start, Justin. Thanks for your service, too!

Where in San Diego? Pendleton? or MCAS Miramar? (Geez, it's hard to call it that after knowing it as NAS Miramar for so long....)

And winter is just around the corner, too.

5 minutes ago, Origami said:

Nice start, Justin. Thanks for your service, too!

Where in San Diego? Pendleton? or MCAS Miramar? (Geez, it's hard to call it that after knowing it as NAS Miramar for so long....)

And winter is just around the corner, too.

Pendleton. Was my second time being stationed there, I love it.

15 minutes ago, ImGoingCoastal said:

Nice setup! How do you like the razor? I was looking at them....

-A-a-ron

I really like it, got a smoking deal on it used two years ago. Changed out the lenses to the new white, wide angles and they're great. beautiful shimmer and spread.

24 minutes ago, CallMeJus said:

Pendleton. Was my second time being stationed there, I love it.

I've driven past it many times. My folks and brother are still down that way. I grew up a Navy brat. My dad's last couple of tours were in San Diego and my folks bought in Poway back in the mid-70's when we returned from a tour in Okinawa. In fact, I'm a Poway HS grad (class of 1978). Anyway, welcome to DC and to WAMAS! Great club.

A little advice: I've lived in DC since 1983. Winter passes. Just hunker down. ? Seriously, it's a nice place to live. A lot of things to do and see. And a great regional reef club, too.

Did you make MACNA 2016? It was held there in SD.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:23 PM, Origami said:

I've driven past it many times. My folks and brother are still down that way. I grew up a Navy brat. My dad's last couple of tours were in San Diego and my folks bought in Poway back in the mid-70's when we returned from a tour in Okinawa. In fact, I'm a Poway HS grad (class of 1978). Anyway, welcome to DC and to WAMAS! Great club.

A little advice: I've lived in DC since 1983. Winter passes. Just hunker down. ? Seriously, it's a nice place to live. A lot of things to do and see. And a great regional reef club, too.

Did you make MACNA 2016? It was held there in SD.

I did go to MACNA. It was truly an AMAZING experience. The speakers, meeting the people behind all the popular YouTube Channels, the crazy deals on frags, and checking out new equipment. It was unreal. You definitely have to budget yourself on livestock though because the uninhibited could easily go broke. 

Glad that you liked it. We hosted the show here the year before, in 2015. A handful of us helped work that show (and others, including this years' in Las Vegas) and are on the planning committee for next year and future years. We're glad to have you here.