Upgrading to a bigger tank

piratesreefer

Curious as to weather it would be possible to go from a fluval 13.5 to a nuvo 20. In this case would i just be able to move my rocks with corals on them to the new tank (about 11-12 pounds) and move over my filter media and be fine and just add extra liferock (purple rocks)  for the difference in rock vs water or would that be dangerous and trigger a  new cycle? Also would it be safe to switch sands during this? my current sand is a little to fine for my liking and would like to switch to some coarser sand. 

Unless there are organics that can decay or if you're adding a bunch of livestock or increasing feeding, you'll not see any sort of (nitrogen) cycle. It's possible that, if the rocks leached a few silicate or phosphate (because it's not fully cured) that you may have a temporary diatom or even an algae bloom.

I had no issues moving our 75g into a 60g "transfer tank" and back into the 75g when we moved to the new home back in May. I had 120lbs of sand from the original tank sitting in 5g buck for three and a half days that I tossed right back into the 75g after it was set back up without issue. I'm not sure what the "mini-cycles" are that get referenced here and there but I didnt encounter anything of the sort.

Heck, in '98 I moved our 40g from the house, into the back of a moving truck, drove from CA to AZ where it spent the night in the moving truck in 100° Yuma heat and then out of the truck and back into the house the next day. I lost a derasa but our crocea made it through just fine :) 

My guess was that he was concerned that adding new, uncured rock (liferock) and new (assumed dead) sand to the tank volume might trigger some event.

I've had short diatom blooms occur when adding dead (but clean) dry rock into a long-established tank. 

pretty much what origami said Since i want to upgrade my tank to a slightly bigger one but want to make sure i don’t kill all of my corals and fish by doing something wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk