Forum Problems? Report Here.

Origami

I just tried to paste something to my tank thread (not a picture) but it wouldn't even give me the Paste feature.  It worked on a bunch of other forums, not that I ever go on other forums, just saying. ?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, cpu933k said:

For the activity feed, is there a way to group unread posts into topics/threads, rather than to show every single new unread post? Similar to the way it used to work? If there is one particular active thread with a lot of new posts, it buries all the other threads that may have new content.

I'm learning more about that myself. There's a way to customize the activity thread both at the system level and at the user level. At the user level, it's called a custom stream and you'll find that option under the Activity tab. I've already made a few changes to the system so that the default only shows topics, blog entries (we don't currently enable new blogs - but we used that feature once upon a time to publish our WAMAS Waves newsletter), and new calendar entries.

I'll dig more into this for you.

37 minutes ago, paul b said:

I just tried to paste something to my tank thread (not a picture) but it wouldn't even give me the Paste feature.  It worked on a bunch of other forums, not that I ever go on other forums, just saying. ?

How about now? I just added the buttons. For some reason, they're not in the default setup for the editor. I didn't even notice as I tend to use keystroke shortcuts which are faster and almost universal in their use:

• ctrl-x is cut
  • ctrl-c is copy
  • ctrl-v is paste

14 hours ago, Origami said:

Laura, I took a peek inside your gallery settings. The For Sale album is marked private. Mark it public and the pictures should be able to be displayed in your post(s).

Thank Tom.  But a new problem. Now when I go to gallery and double click I no longer have the "copy link" option. 

I also don't see where the "private or public" settings are. 

Edited by Sharkey18

26 minutes ago, Sharkey18 said:

Thank Tom.  But a new problem. Now when I go to gallery and double click I no longer have the "copy link" option. 

I also don't see where the "private or public" settings are. 

When you see your gallery picture, on a Windows machine I can right click on the picture and select "copy image address." If you're on a mac, there may be something equivalent. 

The public/private settings are set when you set up the gallery. Initially, I was unable to convert it to public from your account. I saw that I could change one of mine, though, from my account. So I temporarily upgraded you to an officer again, went in changed your private gallery to public, and reset your group back to WAMAS member. 

I should ask Invision about how we can allow people to do this on their own. The permission setting is not obvious. One option would be to disallow private galleries, but that might be too restrictive.

Is there a way to fix these:

When I check threads I've read before, it starts me out on the first page (instead of when I left off.) This thread, for example, I have been checking regularly, but it always bumps me back to the start. I can see build threads, or longer threads, being unbearable to navigate this way. 

Clear threads initially without opening them? On the old version there was a drop down that gave you the option to mark as read, and you could see (depending on how long it was) the last post, or last few. 

If you create a custom activity stream, you can set it to go to the last unread post of a thread. If all posts are read, it will take you to the last post of the thread. But if you navigate directly from Forums, I see what you mean, it takes you to the first post of the thread.

20 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Is there a way to fix these:

When I check threads I've read before, it starts me out on the first page (instead of when I left off.) This thread, for example, I have been checking regularly, but it always bumps me back to the start. I can see build threads, or longer threads, being unbearable to navigate this way. 

Clear threads initially without opening them? On the old version there was a drop down that gave you the option to mark as read, and you could see (depending on how long it was) the last post, or last few. 

Isaac, if you click on the black dot next to the thread title, it will take you to the first unread post. If you click on the thread title, it will take you to the first post in the thread. The software does give the option to take you to the first unread post regardless, but the current setting gives you both options in a single click. You just have to be careful where you click.

The old option to mark as read without reading was only when viewing the subforums (e.g. General Discussion). It was not at the View New Posts screen. I remember that clearly because I wished then (as I do now) that it was available in the View New Posts screen. It's still there for the forums. I looked to see if they made that an option that could be set in this version, but don't see it available. Tapatalk's the same way. I can mark posts as read without reading them in the forum view, but I can't do it in the unread posts view. 

19 hours ago, Origami said:

Isaac, if you click on the black dot next to the thread title, it will take you to the first unread post. If you click on the thread title, it will take you to the first post in the thread. The software does give the option to take you to the first unread post regardless, but the current setting gives you both options in a single click. You just have to be careful where you click.

I see now. I thought I had explored around enough before I asked, turns out I didn't! That's pretty rad, and super helpful. 

The old option to mark as read without reading was only when viewing the subforums (e.g. General Discussion). It was not at the View New Posts screen. I remember that clearly because I wished then (as I do now) that it was available in the View New Posts screen. 

I'm oddly confident that it was available under the "view new posts" section? I have been wrong about many things like this before though. 

It's still there for the forums. I looked to see if they made that an option that could be set in this version, but don't see it available. Tapatalk's the same way. I can mark posts as read without reading them in the forum view, but I can't do it in the unread posts view.

Well, that's good, at least. I'm fairly certain I used to do this in Tapatalk as well, it's rare that I ever end up in a specific forum unless I'm searching for something. 

1 hour ago, YHSublime said:

I'm oddly confident that it was available under the "view new posts" section? I have been wrong about many things like this before though. 

Well, that's good, at least. I'm fairly certain I used to do this in Tapatalk as well, it's rare that I ever end up in a specific forum unless I'm searching for something. 

If it was in either, it's either a setting that I didn't have or I'd remember it. I've been frustrated by it for years and wondered why this view didn't have the same options available to me as the other view. After all, if they know enough to put the post in front of me, why can't I dismiss it from the same view? And why give me the option in one view but not the other? Argh!

One thing that I'll do in my desktop version of Chrome is to right click and open a whole slew of new posts in different tabs. In the desktop version, I don't automatically jump to the new tab, so I can do this in rapid, mechanical fashion. The end effect is to be able to mark things as read. 

Of course, you still have the ability to mark everything read at the push of a button.

I don't see a link to switch between full page view and mobile view. I have a phablet for a phone, so I often use full mode, but the site looks like it is only letting me use an automatic mobile version.

The browser on your phablet should allow you to load the page's desktop site. Mine does. See if yours does, too.

I tried to use one of the forums template emojis and it threw an error. 

Obviously not a huge deal, but now people aren't going to know when I'm being cheeky! 

On 11/3/2018 at 7:42 PM, YHSublime said:

I tried to use one of the forums template emojis and it threw an error. 

Obviously not a huge deal, but now people aren't going to know when I'm being cheeky! 

Well, I went ahead and reset the selection so that only our old emoji are shown. If you use other emojis that are available on your platform, they may still display as intended. But then again, maybe not.

:rollface:

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:24 AM, Origami said:

How about now? I just added the buttons. For some reason, they're not in the default setup for the editor. I didn't even notice as I tend to use keystroke shortcuts which are faster and almost universal in their use:

• ctrl-x is cut
  • ctrl-c is copy
  • ctrl-v is paste

Nope.  The paste feature was there until I tried to paste something.  Then nothing happened and the paste feature faded away.  I can't even paste it here.

I think I will come back to your club meeting and speak for an hour and a half about how I can't use this. :smokin:

1 hour ago, paul b said:

Nope.  The paste feature was there until I tried to paste something.  Then nothing happened and the paste feature faded away.  I can't even paste it here.

I think I will come back to your club meeting and speak for an hour and a half about how I can't use this. :smokin:

Paul, what browser are you using? I get the button and can copy in Chrome, but I can't paste using the button, either. Instead, I get a message in the middle of my screen that says, "Press Ctrl-V to paste. Your browser doesn't allow you to paste with the toolbar button  or context menu option." Do you see the same message?

While I can add and remove editor buttons from the control panel, I'll have to look into why certain (all?) browsers (which are on your computer, not ours) suddenly don't implement this function.

For now, try Ctrl-V to paste. I'll float this question back to Invision for an answer.

8 hours ago, lowsingle said:

My membership has expired, but the link I received to renew doesn't work, do you have an updated procedure to renew?

Darren

Darren, was this an email that was received before or after the update to the forum software? Your answer may help me find if there's a change that we need to make in some form now.

Most of our links now live in the forums subdirectory. Subscriptions can be found in the WAMAS store at https://wamas.org/forums/store/ or you can find our join link now located at http://www.wamas.org/forums/join.php

2 hours ago, Origami said:

"Press Ctrl-V to paste.

Tom, when I do this my screen and everything on my computer gets small and when I do it again, it gets so small I can't see it.  I had to go into settings to get it back to normal.  I don't know what browser I am using but I have been using the same one since they invented computers and it works everywhere but here.

I am going to start snail mailing you my posts and you can put them up. :why:

5 minutes ago, paul b said:

Tom, when I do this my screen and everything on my computer gets small and when I do it again, it gets so small I can't see it.  I had to go into settings to get it back to normal.  I don't know what browser I am using but I have been using the same one since they invented computers and it works everywhere but here.

I am going to start snail mailing you my posts and you can put them up. :why:

That's just wierd, Paul. Normally ctrl-(plus) and ctrl-(minus) are the zoom in and zoom out shortcuts. Option-(plus) and Option-(minus) on an Apple. That sounds like what's happening to your screen.

Ctrl-v has been an accepted standard for paste for a decade or more. 

I just looked up the data on your latest login. It looks like you're using Microsoft Edge on a Windows 10 PC this morning. I tried looking at the site using Edge on my computer here in the office and it behaved correctly with respect to using ctrl-v. (It still wouldn't let me paste with the paste button, though.) 

I'll ask this just to be thorough and make sure that I've not miscommunicated. When you type in ctrl-v, you should be holding the control button down and striking the letter v before releasing both. If you were to take what I wrote very literally, it's possible it might be interpreted as holding the control button along with the hyphen, or minus, button and the letter v. If you were to do that, the text would shrink because you've basically just issued a ctrl-(minus) or zoom shortcut command. Can you check that for me?

BTW, this paste button issue is not unique to this forum's software. It's apparrently been out there for a lot of sites and a lot of different software. And it may have to do with the third-party editor that's being integrated into various products. It may also be security related. I'll still run the question by Invision to see what their response is.

Hi Paul. I've posed the question to Invision and got a response indicating that it's a limitation of the editor plugin that they integrate (CKEditor) into the forum software.

While waiting for that answer I did a little searching and found this. The "problem" that you described is reported here back in the middle of 2017. One post in that thread explained that the change came with ckeditor v 4.7.0 (which I assume must have been released about the middle of 2017). One developer described the source of the problem this way:

This is actually working by design. With 4.7.0 release we decided to finally drop our good old Paste dialog to simplify pasting process as much as possible.

Ideally we'd like the browser to just paste and that's it - however, due the security reasons, modern browsers do not expose any means to paste other than using native ways, so:

• Platform specific hotkey ctrl/cmd + v
  • Native context menu

Will trigger paste, but the website can not initiate it on it's own.

The exception here would be Internet Explorer family, as it supports triggering paste command which we use.

So, that's a pretty technical non-answer to your question/problem. Sorry.

Tom, I will try it here.  OK, here I go.

I would like to get another circulation pump because this tank is bigger than my last one but I don't like what I see. I really don't like Korilia's because they are really cheaply made and get covered in growth to fast. I like the Gyre's but they are all programmable and I don't want to or have no idea why you would want to program a pump. I want to plug it in and it goes on and lasts for 25 years with no maintenance so I can leave it alone and go to the Caribbean or Tahiti and not think about it. My original pumps were like that and were not made in China. I have 4 or 5 Korilias and I am tired of cleaning them. I only have 2 of my original pumps still working and I think they still sell them so I may get another but I would like more flow.

I think I will have to look into antiques some place to get what I want. :rolleyes:

This one connected to my vintage surface skimmer is probably over 30 years old and after running 24/7 all those years still works flawlessly.

2015-08-01%2015.56.39_zpsox29gogp.jpg

OMG, it worked.  Make believe this is on my thread.  I hope I remember how I did this because it is different from everywhere else. :lol:

On November 5, 2018 at 7:32 AM, Origami said:

Darren, was this an email that was received before or after the update to the forum software? Your answer may help me find if there's a change that we need to make in some form now.

Most of our links now live in the forums subdirectory. Subscriptions can be found in the WAMAS store at https://wamas.org/forums/store/ or you can find our join link now located at http://www.wamas.org/forums/join.php

When I go to purchase it says I already have one and cannot purchase another one, yet I have lost access to all of the member forums.  The original subscription expiration notice came before the system upgrade.

thanks for the help,

Darren

12 hours ago, lowsingle said:

When I go to purchase it says I already have one and cannot purchase another one, yet I have lost access to all of the member forums.  The original subscription expiration notice came before the system upgrade.

Last night, I changed a little in how the membership products and the associated workflows were set up. In the process, I had a setting wrong. I believe that I've corrected it now and that you should be able to put the Individual Membership product into the cart and check out again. Thanks for the heads up. Darren.