Forum Problems? Report Here.

Origami

I have the same issue but with the phone. I gotta type forum after to get on.  www.wamas.org/forums

clearing cache worked but had to go under advance setting.

Edited by lowlizard

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are still background tasks running.

I started up a cron job on the server that is supposed to make them complete faster, but so far it is only 67% done "Rebuilding Posts" and it still has a bunch more tasks to do.  On the support forums for Invision there are folks that talk about many days of indexing. 

I assume it will finish eventually.  Apparently even tossing more CPU power into the virtual machine that runs WAMAS doesn't help because the indexing process isn't multi-threaded.

Love the new design. Clean... simple....just love it :). I just dont like my personal info displayed on every msg. That should be kept private.

Edited by A.ocellaris

A.ocellaris. Youi're the only member who can see your information. Just as you can't see the personal information of others, they can't see yours. It's put out there by the board developers so that you can be aware of when you need to update outdated profile information.

8 minutes ago, AlanM said:

Tom, did you turn it off totally now?  I no longer see mine either.

Yes. I sent an email that you're probably reading right now. There are new controls in this version but they don't operate at the group level. Privileged users still have an expanded set of permissions, it's just a different look.

By the way, the post-rebuilding/re-indexing is now 73.7% complete after nearly 2 days. After that, there's a whole slew of other tables to index, though I'm not sure if those will be as big a task as the post content. It's really slowing the server. If I didn't know that it would finish soon, I'd almost suggest putting another CPU core on for a short time. But that would just be impatience talking....

18 minutes ago, A.ocellaris said:

Thanks Origami!

A suggestion for near future is to allow us to attach bigger images to messages. With new tech and phones every image now is over 3MB.

You can always use a 3rd party hosting site, even Tapatalk with host your photos. 

22 minutes ago, A.ocellaris said:

Thanks Origami!

A suggestion for near future is to allow us to attach bigger images to messages. With new tech and phones every image now is over 3MB.

Don't "attach" images. They use up too much of your limited space allotment. Use referrals (wamas gallery, tapatalk, imgur, etc.) to embed images through a link. I'll be posting an update to our image hosting thread. The WAMAS gallery option is locally hosted and is easier to use today than it was before the upgrade. Basically, you just open your album, right click on the image that you want and grab the link. (Your WAMAS Gallery is now under an "Albums" tab on your profile page.)

Here's an image from one of my albums that I'll embed by just copying the image link into my reply:

gallery_2631296_685_7908.jpg

Really simple to do now. No image tags or anything. Just go to the gallery and right click on the picture and select "copy image link." Then paste it into your post. (I found it easier to open my gallery up in a separate tab on my browser.) If you're doing this by phone, Tapatalk handles images well. They also host the image so we don't get socked for either storage or bandwidth used to deliver the image to thread viewers.

BTW, server space costs us money, so a lot of 6MB images adds up quickly (both storage and communication bandwidth charges). With routine backups, we've gone from a 30GB HD to over 70GB in just a few years.

Hey Tom, Any idea why I can't add a photo.

Uploaded to the gallery fine but when I copy to a post the message I get says " You're not allowed to see them. " 

Laura 

The new forum has a policy against former officers posting pictures.

I haven't tried a gallery post yet. I'll give it a try to see what is up.

Check to make sure the gallery is public. When I get a chance, I'll check permissions for the groups.

Try clearing your cache. The old "home" page is not where it once was. It's one level deeper. At this point, everything is under the forums area. Thus, https://www.wamas.org/forums is your basic "root" for the community.

Alan did set up a redirect in the htacess file, but it's not taking for everybody yet apparently.

3 hours ago, Sharkey18 said:

Hey Tom, Any idea why I can't add a photo.

Uploaded to the gallery fine but when I copy to a post the message I get says " You're not allowed to see them. " 

Laura, I took a peek inside your gallery settings. The For Sale album is marked private. Mark it public and the pictures should be able to be displayed in your post(s).

• Origami changed the title to Forum Problems? Report Here.
56 minutes ago, littlelise1985 said:

The main website for WAMAS is not working when googled. It works when I click on the "Forums" link instead of the homepage.

We're messing with some other redirect options now....

1 hour ago, littlelise1985 said:

The main website for WAMAS is not working when googled. It works when I click on the "Forums" link instead of the homepage.

Lynn, can you try again? I put some .php redirects in the WAMAS home directory. 

Same thing for you, Isaac. Give it a go.

5 minutes ago, littlelise1985 said:

Works great! Thanks.

Thank you for getting back so quickly!

Your next post is #100!

For the activity feed, is there a way to group unread posts into topics/threads, rather than to show every single new unread post? Similar to the way it used to work? If there is one particular active thread with a lot of new posts, it buries all the other threads that may have new content.