Forum Problems? Report Here.

Origami

We're going to try this again. Sorry for the last minute notice. I have a meeting in a half-hour and am trying to coordinate this process with Invision as I write this. The upgrade process itself will start around noon (if they confirm), but I need lead time to take a snapshot backup to ensure that we have a recovery image if needed.

The WAMAS server and forum wil be taken offline at 10:45 AM to perform a forum software update. This will be a major revision update. I expect this to take a few hours if things go smoothly.

After the forum software update, you'll notice some changes. Some of the changes are because some software customizations that we have on this forum may have been lost and have to be implemented again. Other changes will be a result of changes between the major versions.

One change that will affect a quarter to a third of our members is that YOUR LOGIN WILL CHANGE TO STANDARDIZE ON YOUR SCREEN NAME. We're sorry, but the reason for this change is beyond our control. Some background: When you signed up for the forum, you created an account and there was agreement between your screen name (the name that the community sees when you post) and your login name. In this version of software, this information was kept in two separate fields and allowed for us, over time, to change screen names (if there was good reason to) while leaving your login name the same. In the new version, the two fields are merged and we have to standardize on one. We've chosen to standardize on your screen name since that's how everybody recognizes each other. So, if you're one of the affected (as I'll be), you'll log into your account using your screen name after the upgrade. If your screen name and login name are the same (as it is for the vast majority of you), things will not change for you.

If you have trouble logging in after the update is complete and we're back online, please send an email to Alan or me at loginproblem@wamas.org.

Another change that you'll see affects the sponsor banners at the top of the web page. Right now that's implemented in a bit of custom code. In the future, we'll probably do that using the built-in banner ad function, but we'll have to learn a little bit about it to get that to stand in for the old, custom code.

Finally, there are several forums where we allow continued editing of posts past a certain time. This includes the first post of threads in the for sale forum and in the tank build forum. We may lose that for a little bit and, if we do, we'll work to find a solution as quickly as possible.

So, stand by for the next steps. We'll try to make it as smooth as possible, but I'm anticipating a few bumps along the way. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, this looks different and will take a little getting used to. There are a number of things that are not yet connected (example: TOTM), but I'll work to get all that fixed.

In the meantime, we're back up.

I just reinstalled tapatalk. Because I was one of the people whose forum login was different than his displayed name, I had to sign out and sign in again. If that doesn't work, I'd ask people to unfollow the site in tapatalk and then, after searching WAMAS, follow us again. That'll take you back to the login screen.

I dislike tapatalk, so I would be satisfied to have it permanently gone.  I don't like the tapatalk ads that most people have enabled on the bottoms of their posts, and I don't like how every time I try going to it with my phone I get asked if I want to install tapatalk. 

Too bad it works with this version. ?

I dislike tapatalk, so I would be satisfied to have it permanently gone.  I don't like the tapatalk ads that most people have enabled on the bottoms of their posts, and I don't like how every time I try going to it with my phone I get asked if I want to install tapatalk. 
Too bad it works with this version. ?

Doesn’t cost that much to get rid of them. I’ve not personally, just ignored them, but I see the value of Tapatalk. I wish Nano-reef would switch over as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Isaac,

I think you can actually turn that ad off in your settings on tapatalk.

Isaac,
I think you can actually turn that ad off in your settings on tapatalk.

I’ll see...

I'm a legacy premium Tapatalk member so I've never seen ads. ?

Many people connect to us through Tapatalk. We get a teeny bit of revenue sharing from the ads, I think.

There may be other forum apps that we can work with. Not sure.

I think that I've reconnected TOTM's pages. I'm still not seeing quite the right behavior out of the TOTM database, though. Close, but not quite.

I've also reconnected the About WAMAS page and put the old Join page under that header. 

The LFS Map is back online. And, yes, I know that it's a little outdated. Out of sight, out of mind. Now that it's front and center again, we'll have to make sure that it's updated.

The ad I'm talking about with tapatalk is the "posted on my iphone with tapatalk" type signature line. 

Members can turn that off in their settings in tapatalk. I don't think we all need to see the ad for tapatalk. But no one ever turns it off.

Seems to be running slow for me ATM but I've only checked from one connection.

Also noticed that full addresses are showing up under the usernames now (I assume that is an option I can turn off but it should probably be limited by default). Edit: perhaps this is only visible to the member (I dont see it on other's posts). I didnt see an option to prevent it from being displayed. 

Edited by madweazl

Yes. I think that there are background processes still running that are indexing our (large) database. Things should speed up again after all that is finished.

41 minutes ago, madweazl said:

Seems to be running slow for me ATM but I've only checked from one connection.

Also noticed that full addresses are showing up under the usernames now (I assume that is an option I can turn off but it should probably be limited by default). Edit: perhaps this is only visible to the member (I dont see it on other's posts). I didnt see an option to prevent it from being displayed. 

And, yes, your address is only visible to you. Invision does that to keep your data front-and-center for you so that, if it changes, you'll be gently encouraged to update it.

We have this confusion each time and each time we've customized their code to hide it from the community to avoid confusion. I'm going to dig around some more in this package and see if there's some way of turning it off without having to find a way to customize their code again.

By the way, we should be fully SSL now.  

Anyone doing transactions on the site or should see a valid lock symbol for everything.

I cant get to WAMAS from a desktop.

I get a driver error

Fake news.

No, seriously though.

Right, seriously, it should work.  You're not on a desktop now, judging from the signature ad for Tapatalk that gets posted automatically at the end of your posts. 

If it's still happening on a desktop, let me know. 

It's true that the front page wasn't working because it was assembled out of blocks from the old system that no longer works, but I put in a 301 redirect on the root of the site so that anyone coming in as just wamas.org instead of wamas.org/forums would get redirected to the /forums link.  

So the front page kind of doesn't exist anymore.  It just pushes you to the forum.  I never saw that frontpage anyway except by accident, but when I did I admit I did like looking at the reef news links.  We're going to try to get something working up there.

Right, seriously, it should work.  You're not on a desktop now, judging from the signature ad for Tapatalk that gets posted automatically at the end of your posts. 
If it's still happening on a desktop, let me know. 
It's true that the front page wasn't working because it was assembled out of blocks from the old system that no longer works, but I put in a 301 redirect on the root of the site so that anyone coming in as just wamas.org instead of wamas.org/forums would get redirected to the /forums link.  
So the front page kind of doesn't exist anymore.  It just pushes you to the forum.  I never saw that frontpage anyway except by accident, but when I did I admit I did like looking at the reef news links.  We're going to try to get something working up there.

Yeah, I’m jumping on the phone bc I couldn’t get there. Last attempt was just before I posted that first message. I’ll try again when I get back to a desktop.

Isaac, try clearing your browser cache and see if that resolves it for you.

Still from the phone, but if I want to clear some of these PaulB threads, I’ll have to!