Match Alkalinity

A.ocellaris

Hey!

How do you guys match water parameters from new water mix when performing WC, especially Alkalinity? I started using Kalk to maintain my tank's Alkalinity, but now I am worried that I will skyrocket it when adding new water.

For small tanks, 10% of a water change would not make a huge difference in ALK. Try to use a salt that has an alk close to what your target is. 

(edited)
On 10/29/2018 at 10:24 AM, Neto said:

For small tanks, 10% of a water change would not make a huge difference in ALK. Try to use a salt that has an alk close to what your target is. 

Hey Neto!

The issue is that I am trying to keep Alkalinity very stable around 9.2. When I do water changes, usually 15% every two weeks, my alk level goes up to 9.9, and using Kalk I am a bit concerned that something bad will happen. Not sure about the best salt for that alkalninity level, but I still have a new bag of IO RF.

Edited by A.ocellaris

You could always use Muriatic Acid to bring down the Alk to the desired level you want. I just tried this for the first time as I increased the volume of water to my main display by almost 40%. I use RC which Alk tested for me at 11.9 when mixed up and I usually keep my Alk at 8.2. You will have to aerate your water for a good 12 to 24 hours as the acid drops the Ph of the newly mixed up saltwater. I know  @madweazl uses muriatic acid  on a regular basis, i'm sure he could shed some more light on the process.