Green Star Polyp closed 4 days now

PRinFairfax

I had a nickel sized bunch of GSP and it fell behind some rocks where I can't grab it but can still partially see it.  So I bought another.  

2nd one closed up after a few weeks in the tank.  While the original opens daily.  I tested the water and everything is the same except maybe around day 1 of the closure the salt hit 1.026.  I did move a powerhead reducing the flow it receives around that time too.

Everything else coral, fish, inverts - no problems

Questions: 

Does it prefer higher light, lower light, does it matter?

Does it prefer massive flow, decent flow, low flow, does it matter?

How long should I wait before writing it off as dead?

I know a lot of people will say - you are lucky it died before it takes over... but I really love the look so it taking over I see as a good thing

Thanks in advance

Edited by PRinWarrenton

IME, assuming all other parameters are good, GSP seems sensitive to high salinity. I used to keep a teeny piece in my tank at all times as a "canary in the mineshaft" to warn me of salinity issues. I assume you're testing with a calibrated refractometer (at 0 and 35ppt)?

That being said, soooo many other things could cause issues, including pests.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

If you need more, I have plenty for free. Never noticed a difference with salinity swings in my tank. I have big salinity shifts, but gradual, so a quick shift could be more of an issue, like within a day or so. Likely it got disturbed or some para swing such as alk. I can give you a larger chunk more likely to take off. My tank is sps dominate the rock of sps I have I’m holding onto for a friend and trim down. I’ve been keeping it in a shaded part of my frag system with no direct light, but also had kept gsp under halides. If it came from a tank of a real steady para over a long time it could be more sensitive. The problem you’re seeing is likely a shift of one or more of the factors.

When I was running ultra low nutrient my GSP didn't do too well.  Also, it didn't like getting blasted.  Mine seems to do the best with gentle, but relatively steady flow around it and with moderate light, nothing crazy, but also not shadow.  I had a few days where my light timer somehow got wedged so the blues stayed on for a few days.  Ugh.  The GSP was all mad and flattened into a purple mat for a while, but a few days of normal light and it came back.  It seems pretty resilient.

Never dosed Alk.   Only dosed calc once about 2 months ago.  I think the water out here (public but comes from wells) is high in both.  I had discuss with LFS they thought it was my brand of salt.  So I changed salt brand.   It's been higher since the tank started around Sept 1 and moving lower at the pace of glacier.  It's a mystery to me

If this is the only organism showing any change, I would just watch and wait.  I know that's hard, but, seriously, as Master Oogway says, "We often meet our destiny on the path we take to avoid it."  In other words, I've killed a lot of coral via actions I took trying to "save" them when they probably would have done better if I had just left them alone. 

Well after about a week they opened up about 75%.  Lots of great advice - really appreciate it.  

If they close again I'm giving them 30 days before I panic!

guess we can say - case closed