Help Identifying Live Rock Hitchhikers

MaeganWink

Hello!

Just to start off, thanks to everyone in general for being so helpful!

I noticed today that there is something growing from the live rock in one of my students' tanks. I'm trying to make sure it's not something I need to be worried about. I know you can get both good and bad hitchhikers on live rock, so help identifying would be much appreciated!

I've attached a picture I took.

From what I've been seeing online it looks like it might be a Glass Anemone, but since I'm inexperienced, I wanted to double check.

post-2636709-0-29285700-1540396920_thumb.jpg

Edited by MaeganWink

yep.  Aiptasia.  If you want to get rid of it you could try some of the methods on google, or if you aren't going to have lots of coral they're not too bad.  They do multiply in the right conditions.  They turn to goo if you squirt Aiptasia-X into their mouths.

They close up if you poke them which the students might enjoy doing. 8)

From what I've been seeing online it looks like it might be a Glass Anemone, but since I'm inexperienced, I wanted to double check.

Good call, Maegan. It is, indeed, a Glass Anemone - more commonly referred to by hobbyists as Aiptasia and generally considered an invasive pest in our tanks. Time to snuff it out and keep your eyes open for others. Where there's one, there's often another lurking about. Once these things take root in your plumbing or in places not easily reached, you'll never get rid of them.

If you don’t get rid of them now its a pain to get rid of them later. These are such a pain to deal with... Peppermint Shrimp will take care of these quickly if you don’t kill all of them you see after the tank cycles if it hasn’t yet.

• 1 month later...

My peppermint shrimp seemed to have made short work of them. Thanks everyone!

I found some bristleworms as well. I don't think they are fireworms, though, but could anyone offer a second opinion?

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg