Philip's 11gal SPS Dominated Reef Tank

pco1988

Hey, it's been a really long time since I posted here on the forums.  Last time I had a tank was before I left for MCRD PI.  I shut down all my tanks, but I kept all the equipment and a couple tanks (my biggest and smallest).  I have decided to start the small tank up, which is a tank that I built back in 2009 that I ended up never using.  I built the tank, sump and stand it sits on back then, recently I built the light stand which I'm not completely happy with but it works and looks decent.

Tank and Setup:
- 12" Custom Made Acrylic Cube Aquarium
- 2gal Custom Made Acrylic Sump with Built In Filter Sock
- Eheim Compact+ 3000 Return Pump
- Deltec MCE300 Hang On Protein Skimmer
- Giesemann Nova II White 150 watt MH Pendant Fixture

- Fishbowl Innovations Auto Top Off with Aqua Lifter Pump

I started the tank on September 14, 2018 with completely dead rock and dead sand bed (had been in the tank since 2009 and came out of my 210gal tank from back in the day).  I completely filled the tank with old water from a friends tank when they did a WC and with BioDigest.  It only took a month for the tank to completely cycle which to me was amazing, figuring with the way I started it would take 6-8 weeks minimum.  

Current Stock:

- 2 Juvenile Black Onyx Percula Clownfish

- 1 Helfrichi Firefish

- Snail Cleaner Crew

- SPS Frag of Rainbow Granulosa

Here are some pictures of the setup when I originally made it:

DSC00431.jpg

DSC00432.jpg

DSC00439.jpg

The Sump:

DSC00427.jpg

DSC00430.jpg

Light:

GiesemannNovaIILight.jpg

Original Rock Formation:

7862C74B-8569-4ACD-87A0-F698E54B7453_zps

A39BDF46-1E5D-4A53-AD45-FF52FDBCF895_zps

Revised Rock Formation with the Inhabitants:

9FA2908C-35E7-42F8-AD93-8BF7A486DFB9_zps

That's all I have for the moment, as I add and adjust to the setup I will keep the thread update!

Wow! That;s awesome! This is a great build, I just wish the returns weren't front an center, maybe in the back would have been cleeaner?

Wow! That;s awesome! This is a great build, I just wish the returns weren't front an center, maybe in the back would have been cleeaner?

Thank you! Yeah I made the tank years ago and thought it would be cool to have the whole system enclosed and self contained inside the stand. I still like the idea but wish I hadn’t done it this way. Either way I love the tank and the circulation in the tank is nice and is everywhere without having to add any power heads.

It's coming along nicely. I like that you've managed to keep it compact.

To Isaac's point: The returns could be made less obvious if you removed two links loc-line on each side to reduce the height. You might even consider epoxying sand to the outside of the upper segment or hiding it behind some structure. Or you could even ditch the loc-line returns and replace them with a shorter PVC assembly.

I'm assuming that your rock is ziptied to the eggcrate scaffolding? Have you considered shortening it some so that it's largely behind the rock work? I'd be afraid that, in the long run, you'll have a lot of algae growth on it since it's in a great location with a lot of light and a lot of flow / oxygen / nutrients.

It's coming along nicely. I like that you've managed to keep it compact.

To Isaac's point: The returns could be made less obvious if you removed two links loc-line on each side to reduce the height. You might even consider epoxying sand to the outside of the upper segment or hiding it behind some structure. Or you could even ditch the loc-line returns and replace them with a shorter PVC assembly.

I'm assuming that your rock is ziptied to the eggcrate scaffolding? Have you considered shortening it some so that it's largely behind the rock work? I'd be afraid that, in the long run, you'll have a lot of algae growth on it since it's in a great location with a lot of light and a lot of flow / oxygen / nutrients.

Thanks!  Yeah I have thought of the same ideas with the returns and I am playing around with them tonight as we speak.  When I am done I will post more pictures of what I have been up too.  Yes the rock is zip tied to the eggcrate to get the desired rockscape.  There is also eggcrate under the rock keeping it off of the bottom of the tank and zip tied to that to keep the rock from shifting or falling (I will see if I can find the photos of the before sand and rock to post up to show this).  I have considered shortening it since I redid the rockscape and I will continue to think about it before I cut it up.

Awesome tank man!  Keep us updated.

Thank you!  I appreciate the kind words and will most definitely keep you updated!

The zip-tying rock to the egg crate is something I've not seen for years now. Good to see somebody remembering some of the old things we did in the hobby. Since you did this, you probably remember how some used to zip tie rocks right up near the top to completely shield the overflow from viev, and to use sand-covered pond foam to fill in the gaps. ;-)

The zip-tying rock to the egg crate is something I've not seen for years now. Good to see somebody remembering some of the old things we did in the hobby. Since you did this, you probably remember how some used to zip tie rocks right up near the top to completely shield the overflow from viev, and to use sand-covered pond foam to fill in the gaps. ;-)

I have been in the saltwater hobby since 2002 and have been out of the hobby since 2010 so I don't even know the new ways quite yet  :lol2: and yes I remember that very well and thought about doing it with this tank but decided against it because of the very small size.

Here is the pictures with the shorter returns and I agree it looks much better and will be less intrusive.  So good call on that!  Here are a few quick shots of the tank when the lights were on earlier.

Front Tank Shot:

Nano%20Shorter%20Returns_zpsz8mcwagr.jpg

Top View, Return Pump On:

Nano%20Top%20View%20Pump%20On_zpsqju7je0

Top View, Return Pump Off:

Nano%20Top%20View%20Pump%20Off_zpsqpj6f3

I like it, however you have to be careful with the return check valve, they can get dirty with algae and stop working correctly and if that happens by looking at your nozles, probably 80% of the tank's water  could drain to the sump.

I like it, however you have to be careful with the return check valve, they can get dirty with algae and stop working correctly and if that happens by looking at your nozles, probably 80% of the tank's water could drain to the sump.

I will definitely be keeping an eye on it and will be tested weekly during the water changes. One nice thing about the check valve that I bought and the reason I purchased it is that I can open it up and service it to make sure it stays in working order.