Returning after a 15 year hiatus

Hello everyone. After a long absence, I'm finally returning to the hobby. I'm excited by all of the advances in understanding of chemistry and tank husbandry which seem to put this hobby on surer footing than ever.

I had a new tank all planned out, but as you know, buying all brand new gear is an expensive proposition. So while bemoaning this fact to a fellow reefer at work, he pointed me at a tank for sale on the local forum that was close to, if not exactly what I was hoping to put together myself.

I ended up pulling the trigger on that tank, a Red Sea Max S 500 (for a quarter of the price of my originally planned build out), grabbing some friends and a U-Haul and moving it all in a day. It even came with a TON of hairy green shrooms covering almost everything.

I've had it set up in the house now for about a month, getting things settled in, tuning up the apex controller, dialing in the skimmer, playing with the new LED lighting spectrum (forgive the blue, it was late when I took the picture), and thinking about a proper aquascape to build out, and I'm happy to be back.

I'm looking forward to playing with all the new toys and gadgets, and trying my hand at a tank with a lot more life experience under my belt (and a lot more info available on these forums as well). 

Happy reefing everyone.post-2632861-0-63700600-1540168160_thumb.jpg

Welcome! We're glad to have you here. How long were you in the hobby before you left it fifteen years ago? A lot has changed over those years. Lighting is a big change. Skimmers are commercially more available. Practically nobody makes their own any longer. There are a lot of toys, but nothing truly replaces good husbandry, so you'll start with a leg up there.