Sign in to follow this  
littlelise1985

Lynn's Fish Room

It has been a while since I updated this, but I just got hit with either Brooklynella or Velvet. At this point, I don't think it matter anymore.

I lost the majority of my fish in the main tank.  I completely took out all the rocks and catch all the fish that was left today and medicate them in a separate tank. I hope the ones that are left will be ok. It is just heartbreaking to see them slowly die one-by-one.

I don't even know how many corals that died through all this. I medicated the tank with (reef safe medication) and irritated the majority of the corals. The breakdown will most like kill some. I lost some in the process just from it falling off and landing somewhere I cannot find.

I love this hobby, but losing the fish is a big hit for me. Some I have come to love and named. :cry:

What did you add that would have brought it in? Both of those are very fast acting, so it would have to be a new addition.

Also, how did you identify what it was? Your corals should be ok during the process, even with a little disturbance.

Sorry to hear though, what’s your qt action plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

What did you add that would have brought it in? Both of those are very fast acting, so it would have to be a new addition.

Also, how did you identify what it was? Your corals should be ok during the process, even with a little disturbance.

Sorry to hear though, what’s your qt action plan?

The latest fish I got is a yellow wrasse. He shows no sign of illness. Clowns were hit first and they ended up with a slim coat. Starts with spots on the body, scratching, and head shakes. Within the week half the fish were dead. All the wrasse and goby are completely fine with no symptoms. I have a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon that i am housing them in. Some marine balls from the old tank is added to the tank for filtration. I am using ich-x right now.

I tried to medicated the tank at first (reef safe product) and that caused them to retract. I already see some bleaching.

Edited by littlelise1985

Yikes, sorry to hear this.  I don't know of any reef safe medication that works for ich or velvet. 

The only things I've heard of working are quarantine away from the tank, a full 70 days of no fish in the tank (doesn't require chemicals), and copper or chloroquine phosphate in the QT water.  You can also try the Tank Transfer Method.  There are some good posts on this method on Reef2Reef or ReefCentral.

Recovering a tank full of fish is a long process with a lot of effort since the you aren't working with a system with good bacteria and the ammonia can build up in the QT very quickly.

14 minutes ago, AlanM said:

Yikes, sorry to hear this.  I don't know of any reef safe medication that works for ich or velvet. 

The only things I've heard of working are quarantine away from the tank, a full 70 days of no fish in the tank (doesn't require chemicals), and copper or chloroquine phosphate in the QT water.  You can also try the Tank Transfer Method.  There are some good posts on this method on Reef2Reef or ReefCentral.

Recovering a tank full of fish is a long process with a lot of effort since the you aren't working with a system with good bacteria and the ammonia can build up in the QT very quickly.

I cannot find any source that can tell me how long I need to treat the fish for in QT.  Medication said to use until symptoms are gone...

Ich-X contains formaldehyde (5%), methanol (2%), malachite green chloride (<0.1%)

I am hoping that a 50% water change twice a day would be good.

Edited by littlelise1985

19 minutes ago, AlanM said:

This is good advice.  It's worth clarifying though that TTM only works for ich, not velvet or brook.

I have a Hanna copper test kit that could help you that you are welcome to use. I live in Hagerstown though. Also have Coppersafe that you could use as well. When setting up qt I have used bio apps plus biospira. I have never had any issues with ammonia really. Get a seachem alert badge. I have quarantined over 12 fish in the last year and they look great. Hope this could help you.

33 minutes ago, Jon Lazar said:

This is good advice.  It's worth clarifying though that TTM only works for ich, not velvet or brook.

I don't think it is ich. I really do think it is either velvet or brook. I am trying to read up on the treatment and most just say to treat until symptoms are gone. There doesn't seem to be any exact date.

5 minutes ago, Dmb0921 said:

I have a Hanna copper test kit that could help you that you are welcome to use. I live in Hagerstown though. Also have Coppersafe that you could use as well. When setting up qt I have used bio apps plus biospira. I have never had any issues with ammonia really. Get a seachem alert badge. I have quarantined over 12 fish in the last year and they look great. Hope this could help you.

Thank you for your offer! I really would take you up on it, but unfortunately I am stuck at home from bronchitis (yeah... just add to the luck) and won't be traveling for a bit. I will definitely get some seachem alert at a nearby store. I don't think they will be staying in the QT for too long (I hope). I just need to figure out how long the treatment needs to be. Once they are good, I will add them to the other tanks until the fallow period is over.

If it is velvet it takes 30 days in copper. If it is velvet it should be 6 weeks. Also for brooknylla too. Ich fallow period is 76 days that is due to a study that was done in the early 90’s. I would do 76 days no matter what because whether it is ich or velvet. Ich can be present and not show on fish. The actually white spot is skin irritation after parasite bores into the fish and feeds. Can you send me a picture?

5 minutes ago, Dmb0921 said:

If it is velvet it takes 30 days in copper. If it is velvet it should be 6 weeks. Also for brooknylla too. Ich fallow period is 76 days that is due to a study that was done in the early 90’s. I would do 76 days no matter what because whether it is ich or velvet. Ich can be present and not show on fish. The actually white spot is skin irritation after parasite bores into the fish and feeds. Can you send me a picture?

I did not take any picture but they look very much like the pictures on this site.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

According to this. Treatment is short in qt. The main tank will stay fishless for 72 days. You don't think this is sufficient?

I have no idea what ich-X does, but for cupramine or coppersafe it would be a few weeks and you can expect some not to make it. There are some good articles on treating with copper on reef2reef as well. 

If you could leave the house I have all needed test kits and copper meds that you could have. I'm not getting new fish anymore. 

Sign in to follow this