Modifying the stand

civitan.erichanson

I have a 75 gallon tank on a stand with two fairly narrow doors.  Each door is 16" wide and there is a section in the center that is 8" wide.  I can not insert a 2og long tank (my sump preference due to cost mod with plexiglass) under the cabinet because it is too long to turn.  I am considering an eShopps 200, not sure that will go in either.

Thoughts on 2x4 bracing of the stand and then removal of the center front section?

Thanks again,

Eric

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Eric 

You might be able to brace it, but I would hesitate if it were me. You could try to borrow a tank to drain it and then refill pretty easily after putting in a sump. I prefer to have a sump I can remove without emptying the tank however. Have you considered using 2 10g tanks, drilling them and joining them with bulkheads?

• 3 weeks later...

Another crazy idea. If you know this is going to be a permanent addition then empty the tank and remove it from the stand. Place the sump underneath the stand by either going in through the top or placing the sump in the spot and putting the stand on top of it (go through the bottom).

Doing it this way means you don't have to modify the stand but means your only way of ingress or regress is with the tank removed. Still, it means the stand will work as designed.

I would be concerned about removing the center support. You don't necessarily need a center support on a 4 foot tank but I prefer one.

If you decide to go the reinforcement method your focus will be figuring out how to transfer the force from the center to the outer edges. A frame of 2x4 resting on top of 2x4 supports in the corners would likely work. One final thought is to consider how the doors would be affected.

Depth of a standard 75 is 19", the 2OL is 12.5" leaving you 7.5" to play with. A 2x4 is 1.5 inches wide. Leaving you a 4" buffer (I'm sure it'll be closer to 1-2" due to the original construction of the stand) So I would think making a panel around that would be easy. Brace it, cut it, slap some hinges on it and reinstall. I definitely would not remove the center brace while the weight of the tank is on it though.

-A-a-ron

Edited by ImGoingCoastal