Indo coral ban over....perhaps?

bues0022

At the moment it's a complete rumor (not corroborated through any press release that I can find), but the chatter that's reached my ears tonight is telling me the Indonesia coral ban is over!

Has anyone else heard something similar tonight, or am I falling for a rumor spreading like a wildfire in California? With everyone hoping it's over soon, I can definitely imagine something getting out of hand quickly with this, so hopefully someone else with better sources than me can help confirm.

Supposedly the officials met to discuss their options.  Not issuing any cites anytime soon. 

I starting thinking last night that the rumor was exaggerated based on the complete lack of any official statement. 

Woot Woot!!

Hopefully this means some better competition, coral prices come back down, and more options for corals too!

Where did you see the memo?

OK so right after my last post I get this, so its a start.

(Letter from our supplier, see letter below. Hopefully soon!)
Dear Customer
I was asked if this letter means we are able to import corals again.
This letter means for domestic corals from Mataram and Bali only, but its not for exporting. The answer is not yet.

Absolute best explanation yet of what's going on with the whole Coral ban and it doesn't seem to be over:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1849936048424123&id=254025534681857

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Very interesting. I'm struck by the "trafficking" (i.e. smuggling) within Indonesia that seems to have been at the heart of the KKP complaint, leading to its flexing its muscles and shutting down the issuance of health permits. Was this a way to move corals from one region to permit holders in another region and therefore to circumvent possible regional harvest quotas or exporter allotments? Is this a widespread problem in the industry there? If so, part of me doesn't object to the KKP bringing the hammer down until things are addressed given that they gave fair warningto the industry in 2016 - warning that may have been ignored. If it's not a widespread problem and, instead, it's a lot of political posturing for a presidential aspirant, then it's unfortunate that this is the way it's going down as I'm sure it's hurting plenty of everyday people who eek out a living through this industry.

BTW, thanks for posting this.

I does seem like the greater issue of sustainability is not given priority as it should. If they decided against any wild harvesting I would not blame them. In the last few years a lot of coral farms have popped in Indonesia. Why would you ban the farms from exporting? The risk is they could kill those businesses.