Squareback Anthia not Eating!

phisigs79

Ok so last Sat i bought a pair of squareback anthias but they have yet to eat anything. I have tried frozen formula 1 , a mixture of flake food ( Formula 1 ,2 and pyotoplakton) and sink pellets. They hide almost all the time and get scared very easily. The male just started to jenture out but as soon as i walk by he hides. They seem like the are hungry by going up to the food but they will either spit it out of just swim around like they want some but never do. I got the from F&F and they said they had them for a couple weeks and they ate but can't get ahold of sean to ask what he was feeding them. Please help

are there other fish in the tank?

Can you put some fish food in some kind of feeder for them and go away from the tank (or watch from afar?)

Dave

Try live brine shrimp w/selcon and mix in some frozen and or flake too as you feed.

or watch from afar?)

Great additional thought!

once you add the food, step back several feet.

Just because they start eating in a shop doesn't mean they will eat right away for you.

You actually begin again the part of getting them to eat once you buy them and put them in a new enviroment.

They are with 3 clowns ( one black and white perc , 2 false perc), six line wrase and a lawnmower blenny. They are very nice looking fish and the were nice size. Price was also unbeatable! Ill try the brine shrimp with selcon. Would garlic help entice them to eat or is that just for tangs?

I've seen them eat and they were eating well at F&F. I think Sean feeds them a combination of things but frozen mysis is what they ate mostly if I remember correctly. Just not sure what brand of mysis.

Any luck yet with the frozen brine or mysis?

They are with 3 clowns ( one black and white perc , 2 false perc), six line wrase and a lawnmower blenny. They are very nice looking fish and the were nice size. Price was also unbeatable! Ill try the brine shrimp with selcon. Would garlic help entice them to eat or is that just for tangs?

Female comes out to eat Male doesnt. I have had a week now and havent seen him eat but he might be eatting behind the rocks.She eats both

Today the male died!!! What do i do know? Will the female turn male right away?

Sorry to hear that

One of my Lyretails in my old tank changed when my male went for a walk one day, the colours and behaviour were amazing to watch, it took about 2 weeks to change, if it's a solitary female it may not change.

Anton

I second the comments on cyclopese for anthias- I think is is more like what they pick out of the water column in the wild and very nutrient rich. EVentually all of mine became pigs for whatever hits the tank but the first few weeks the cyclopese got them going esp at dawn and dusk lighting periods. Sorry about the male-

Sorry to hear that

One of my Lyretails in my old tank changed when my male went for a walk one day, the colours and behaviour were amazing to watch, it took about 2 weeks to change, if it's a solitary female it may not change.

Anton

should i get another male or more females? I only have one female now

I'd just get Females and they will adjust to suit, and with one settled and eating already in the tank, it should make the transition easier for them.

By all accounts the Carberry's that i have are swines to fully acclimate i.e. get eating prepared foods, but mine took to eating as soon as they were released from their baggy confines, go figure.

HTH

Anton