Any advice on Cyphastrea appreciated

sen5241b

I had the reddish, rust colored cyphastrea. I acclimated it to higher light fairly fast, say in about a month from 30 PAR up to about 50 and it spread like wildfire in a few months. When I switched to LEDs it died back and was gone. A Tidal Gardens video suggest very low light for cyphastrea.

I just got a blue-green cyphastrea. I put it under 30 PAR for about 2 weeks and then moved it up to about 40 and it started bleaching. I examine new corals daily with a large magnifying glass for the slightest sign of trouble so I can react faster.

How much light do you give your cyphastrea? PAR if you have it.

What color form do you have?

How fast does yours double?

Anyone tried putting it in shade?

Low light corals. Mine grow like weeds. I have several color morphs. Small frags will double in a month or so. Big colonies could take several months. I have two growing in total shade.

Consider it a blessing in disguise, the stuff is extremely invasive! I had a meteor shower that grew in literally any lighting; at lower levels it was green with orange polyps and at higher light levels, it's blue with pink polyps. It is attractive but a weed at best; keep it on its own rock, separate from your main rock structure. It will grow right on top SPS like they aren't eve there. I still have a small piece of rock with it in my tank that doesn't touch anything else that is getting 285 PAR without issue. The main rock I removed last year was getting 225-250 PAR. 

27557999679_a1d7c5db28_b.jpg

This thing is like the terminator, even the stuff that is covered in sand is still alive!

44890666031_e78e8c1bf3_b.jpg

Yes some tolerate higher light, I have a  meteor shower and a plain green/green in my display that will tolerate just about any light. Most of my others (20 or so) are in low light low/medium flow and grow great. If you put them on the bottom part of your tank you should be fine. Once they adjust to the tank they seem to take off. 

I received a meteor shower frag on the underside of a tonga branch with a bunch of ricordea.The cyphastrea I thought was totally past the point of no return. But I just moved the frag plug to a light facing side with some on it. Didnt do anything for about 2 months. After about 2 months it started to color up again. Now its growing fairly quickly. Mine is in moderate light and flow. Seems happy so I am leaving it. Probably taken 4 months or so from being pretty dead to come back(like 10 polyps back or so).

• 3 months later...