Skimmer recommendations

John-Solo

Hi, I have a 29gal bio cube that has been running for about 4 years. I’m considering adding a protein skimmer. Anyone have good recommendations? I have a chamber available but Could be a hang on back I don’t care as long as it’s quite. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a tank that size, water changes are pretty easy to make for nutrient reduction (plus additional benefits in the form of macro and micro elements). I'd be tempted to skip the cost all together in favor of something else that may be more beneficial (e.g. flow or lighting).  

Edited by madweazl

On a tank that size, water changes are pretty easy to make for nutrient reduction (plus additional benefits in the form of macro and micro elements). I'd be tempted to skip the cost all together in favor of something else that may be more beneficial (e.g. flow or lighting).

I tried to turn the middle chamber into a refugium but the chaeto kept breaking down. Have any thoughts? The media basket was top: sponge filter, middle: Chaeto, bottom: carbon. With an LED light on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not very familiar with the Bio-cubes but I'm a big fan of keeping it simple. I don't run filter socks or anything of the sort (figure it just strips food sources from something that could use it). I took the filter socks and sponge from my sump and the only thing in it is macro-algae now (though I do have a carbon reactor). I've never had issues with the macro-algae dying off but I've always had a variety of three caulerpa species along with some rogue cheato that made it's way in there. Regardless, I'd think weekly 5g water changes would put you on a path toward success regardless of what you did back there. 

I'm not very familiar with the Bio-cubes but I'm a big fan of keeping it simple. I don't run filter socks or anything of the sort (figure it just strips food sources from something that could use it). I took the filter socks and sponge from my sump and the only thing in it is macro-algae now (though I do have a carbon reactor). I've never had issues with the macro-algae dying off but I've always had a variety of three caulerpa species along with some rogue cheato that made it's way in there. Regardless, I'd think weekly 5g water changes would put you on a path toward success regardless of what you did back there.

Yeah I do 5 gal water changes weekly, sometimes biweekly if Iv been busy. I’m just always looking for the best way to maintain good parameters. Iv had trouble keeping SPS corals in the past. I have a monti that is doing fine but lost any others Iv tried. Softies have had no issues.