how to get odor out of plastic food barrels

astroboy

I bought a couple of 58 gallon barrels on ebay for mixing and storing water. They're food grade and the insides are spotless. However, they contained yellow Greek peppers, whatever those are, and the smell is pretty strong. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations on how to get the smell out? I filled them with water and put in a gallon of beach, waited for a week, and that helped but I wonder if there's a better way.

Thanks,

Mark

Have you tried bleach? I have 55 gallon drums and originally cleaned with bleach, scrubbed, and rinsed thoroughly. Also, put my filter socks in the washing machine with bleach. Haven’t noticed any bad effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should have said I used bleach, not beach. It did some good, I'm wondering if there might be a better way...

Haha missed the part about bleach. I used bleach and dawn detergent. Have you tried soaking them in vinegar? Or the baking soda idea sounds good. When our dogs got sprayed by a skunk had to use baking soda, dish washing soap and hydrogen peroxide. It’s worth a shot to remove the odor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk