DYI Tank Stand question

MODreefer

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169964

The plans above will help build a very strong stand. Maybe overkill. You can skin it with plywood. Make sure you pick out the straightest lumber you can find, and that your cuts are also straight. It will save you some headaches when trying to ensure your tank sits flat on the top.

A nail gun can be used. The fasteners are more secure than hand-driven nails. I've used one before with no issue. One key is to avoid shear stress on the fasteners. This design is just one of several frame designs using dimensional lumber that accomplish that.

I'd do glue as well as the nailgun.

Instead of 2x4 I've made mine out of 3/4" plywood and careful measuring and cuts.  No screws, just biscuits.  It is super solid because the load from the tank is carried along the plywood and it can't rack over.  It's basically just a plywood box with exactly the same outside dimensions as the frame of the tank.  I open it up in the front and put stuff underneath.

• 1 month later...

We've built a couple, including this one. Do you have any particular questions? I'm anti-nails in this application. With saltwater, you're going to have rust with most fasteners you'll probably use (marine-rated materials are expensive). Screws will give you more room to deal with rust through the length of the fastener - you won't get as much loosening as quickly.

We only used a brad gun on the trim. It's 2x4's skinned with birch, some big leaf maple burl, and marble.

We line the bottom with pond liner with about 2" vertical just in case of an overflow. Screenshot_20181010-164551_Gallery.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, ReefdUp said:

We've built a couple, including this one. Do you have any particular questions? I'm anti-nails in this application. With saltwater, you're going to have rust with most fasteners you'll probably use (marine-rated materials are expensive). Screws will give you more room to deal with rust through the length of the fastener - you won't get as much loosening as quickly.

We only used a brad gun on the trim. It's 2x4's skinned with birch, some big leaf maple burl, and marble.

We line the bottom with pond liner with about 2" vertical just in case of an overflow. Screenshot_20181010-164551_Gallery.jpeg

Beautiful work. I've been contemplating making a floating canopy like that for mine. How do you attach it to the wall?

We used giant metal studs attached to the wall studs. The canopy just slides over them. We also added some wires going to the ceiling studs just as an extra security measure.

• 2 weeks later...