Jeabo CP-25 / CP-40

John Ford

Anyone using one of these pumps? I have a 100 gallon stock tank I need to rethink my flow and was considering one of these vs two rw-8s. I’m just curious on flow patterns mainly and how the WiFi controllers work and if they are worth it or not.

Any input good or bad would be appreciated!

Jebao at the very least clones other products, at the very worst is the brand name for an OEM factory selling modified versions of its contractee's intellectual property.   (IIRC a few years ago there was a lawsuit with Hydor, basically saying that Jebao cloned one or another pump).   That being said, from what I've seen the Jebao PP/SW/OW/SOW series pumps (IIRC all basically the same, just different model years) appear to be better than the Koralias, with more options, so they are still a reasonable buy in my book, especially since they seem to be fairly reliable.   

As far as the CP series, their gyre clone, the gyre is a much more complicated, precise, and less mature (i.e. less easy to successfully copy) design than a standard wave maker.  From my time using the gyre, they are a somewhat complicated system which should work with no problem, but can frequently be finicky   I'm told the CP25/40 is not as well designed as the original gyres, that Jebao predictably cut some corners with them, and that quality and reliably significantly lags the Maxspect or Icecap gyres.  But I don't have any firsthand experience with them.  

I personally would pass on the Jebao CPs and get an icecap gyre for not much more (and IIRC much better control options).  But the instant I say this I'm sure someone will come out and say how great their CP25 or 40 is.  (to which I say "great, please tell us more").

Edited by KingOfAll_Tyrants

I certainly understand and appreciate your input. But to say for not much more is where you lost me. I can almost buy 4 CP40s for the price of one gyre. Even if it only last a year that’s four years before I break even. I doubt anyone’s gyre will still be running after four years with no out of pocket expense.

Aha.  Sorry, should have been more specific, and accounted for the same size pump.

CP 90 (the 3000-ish gah jebao.  Not current generation, I believe) is $85, versus Icecap 3k’s $160, and Maxspect 250’s $160 pump only.

The Icecap comes with a controller, the Maxspect does not, which costs over $100 more.  But the maxspect's controller is quite advanced; highly recommended (especially if you use a second pump) unless you want to hook to the apex.  From my understanding, the Icecap's is not as advanced, but still much more advanced than the Jebaos.  The Jebao only has three settings, and a limited amount of control of the settings.   

Your call of course on how valuable that is.  IMO, it's a lot, as a Maxspect and Jebao (PP4) owner.   I'm a big believer in varying the amount of flow you have throughout the day.  But of course I don't have anywhere near the experience to say "it's better for the corals" or anything like that.  

https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-CP-90-Cross-Maker-Controller/dp/B07B6BMCQ9/ref=asc_df_B07B6BMCQ9/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242166465819&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9766883529619705023&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016792&hvtargid=aud-465161895813:pla-464847831348&psc=1#featureBulletsAndDetailBullets_secondary_view_div_1536457113397

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/3k-gyre-generation-aquarium-flow-pump-icecap/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5s3cBRCAARIsAB8ZjU2xU0kSmHlSUWQYzpOmZkj2qyCl94aKu-iPw1Rp6kYJwYZjKCcE61UaApj8EALw_wcB

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/xf250-gyre-pump-only-5300-gph-maxspect.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5s3cBRCAARIsAB8ZjU3qnaAVPiQ_pD8ViBwIUp63qWwYkaXUrBUIUZJctLwDGEA2Pgi25Q4aAkLzEALw_wcB

Edited by KingOfAll_Tyrants