tank stocking suggestions (fish)

bues0022

I'm trying to figure out my next fish, and want to open up for thoughts/suggestions/criticism on current ideas.

I have a 30 cube mixed reef. Current fish are:

Pair of Picasso Clownfish

Firefish

Cleaner goby

Hector's goby

I've been really thinking lately about getting a blenny, but now I'm second guessing that idea. I seem to have already have three "long and skinny" fish that hide a bunch in the rocks. Even though blennies seem to have great personalities, they often hide in the rocks. The fanged blennies don't seem to hide as much, but they lack the goofy face and eyes that are so endearing of the blenny family. Midas blennies swim more, and I might end up here, but I want to explore other possibilities.

As far as other fish go, I don't want anything that eats pods. My Hector's goby does that now, and I don't have a big enough tank to support others.

Other fish I am thinking about:

Blenny (starry, combtooth, ember? (I love the ember, but I hear they loose their colors over time), also, it's a 30 gallon tank, so it would have to accept prepared foods in addition to algae)

Pink wrasse

Possum wrasse (though from reading it sounds like these might hide a bit and also eat pods?)

tiny tang? (Yes, I know. this is a stretch, but the open swimming nature and body shape is different than my other fish. I would only keep it a couple years before trading it in, so not a longterm plan, but at least I could guarantee its health for the next person!)

royal gramma

trio of blue/green chromis?

Any other ideas? What are your thoughts?

I think your list is good, aside from the tang, I think even a tiny one is cramped in a 30.. but that's my opinion.. it has been done of course...

I wouldn't worry about pods, as any fish that only needs pods to survive is likely going to perish in a 30 gallon... there just isn't enough to support it (unless constantly adding)..

Midas blenny is awesome, gets a little big for a 30 but takes a while...

Fanged blenny is nice.. I have a kamohora and it's a great little fish...

Possum and pink wrasse are possible.. also you could consider a small pygmy angel like the cherub...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If you don't have any expensive corals, a blue spot puffer would be great. They have a ton of personality, are small enough to be comfortable in a 30, and tend to be very peaceful. I had one for years in a 30 rimless and loved that fish. I'd only caution against one if you have sps since they can nip.

And tangs are a bad idea in a 30. You'd probably end up with bullied or dead tankmates. Tangs can be pretty mean when they're in such a small space.

Edited by rt502

I forgot about tangs getting nasty in small spaces. Thanks for reminding me. While I don’t have expensive corals, I do have corals and inverts that I would rather not turn into food.

A flasher wrasse is an interesting thought.

Anyone else?

Flame hawkfish. Shouldnt bother your gobys. Mine sits on top of my starry blenny and doesnt even know the green clown goby exists... never had mine bother any inverts. Sits on top of them to. He has carpet surfed once and explored the overflow twice.... so there is a screen lid now. My favorite fish. Tons of personality, hardy eats anything and doesnt bother anything in my tank but may be suicidal.

I’ve never owned any of the angelfish - are any of the dwarf species less risky than others for nipping at my corals? I love the idea of a big color fish, also one that has such a different body shape than the rest of the inhabitants.

I still like the idea of a blenny, but I’m seeing that the ones that would be suited for my tank have nearly the same shape as my gobies. I want more variety of shape and swimming (hence trying to talk myself into a tang or angel)

Wrasses are great reef inhabitants, but they done have much personality. I’ve had them before, so was hoping to find something a little different. But, I guess it’s not such a bad thing to have a peaceful nice neighbor in the tank, right?

So many choices - so little room. I think I have one or two fish max left.

Edited by bues0022