Feather Duster dying/dead?

PRinFairfax

Bought two feather dusters - one is going great.  the other is out but seems to have lost some "feathers" and does not retract to the touch.

thoughts?

feeding them from the bottle in the photo

post-2636689-0-36924100-1535461993_thumb.jpg

post-2636689-0-26094500-1535462005_thumb.jpg

Sounds like the non reactive one is dead. I wouldnt even feed them. If you feed the fish, then they will get fed without any additional foods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have several in my tank for years.....it is not unusual for one to hide for some time....also, they shed their crown every so often and when they do they often retract for some time~ like a few weeks. My recommendation is leave them alone and keep feeding phytoplankton if you have it just watch your nitrate and phosphate levels. FYI, I don't feed mine phytoplankton and they do just fine living off of my regular feelings of my fish (I have a heavy bioload).

Darren

Sounds like the non reactive one is dead. I wouldnt even feed them. If you feed the fish, then they will get fed without any additional foods.

Edit-

If it is just the tube you see, leave it. They drop their crowns sometimes and grow back. If it is the whole thing with the crown that is non responsive, it’s dead.

I think my original post was unclear.  The photo I posted is of the problematic feather duster.  The crown is out but it will not retract at the touch.  Does this mean it is dead?

do they die and leave the crown out?