Salt Mix for FFX County Water - Preferred?

adamx

Hi;

I am about to buy salt mix. I used FFX County water; live in Falls Church. I use a RO Buddy system. I have problems with high nitrates (may or may not be a factor here).

Is there a preferred salt mix by users of FFX county water? I sea (ha) that Red Sea Coral Pro is best for use with soft water. I don't know what kind of water we have.

We don't have soft water. FairFaxWater.org calls our water "moderately hard" to "hard", at 84-170 mg/l.

I tested my tapwater last year and it was 120 mg/l.

Once you through a functioning RO/DI, calcium, magnesium and carbonate/bicarbonate (and other ions) are removed. These are the primary minearals that make up water hardness. Once they're removed,the water is then considered very soft. 

Salt mix is an individual preference. Popular brands for many reefers include Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals. But there are many other options (and opinions) of course.

Hello,

I use Instant Ocean and it has been working pretty well for me. This brand is sold at almost any fish/pet stores.  Petsmart will have really good deals at time and some online store also have great sales with free shipping.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=747+4729+3896&pcatid=3896

Any salt mix will work. You need to make sure your using a RO/DI unit and not just a RO unit. Your water should have 0 TDS when done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have said, any reputable salt mix will be perfectly fine. Instant ocean is the cheapest by far – on amazon prime or chewy maybe 1/3 the price of red sea salt that I use (not coral pro).

I use red sea salt because its parameters are closer to what I want for a SPS tank. Red Sea Coral Pro is also fine; but has higher levels of certain elements. They recommend it for mixed reefs.

https://www.redseafish.com/reef-care-recipes/