Unexpected tang behavior?

CK Reef

I came home after dinner last night and found out my yellow tang was in a bad shape. He was beaten up badly. It was a total surprise for me 'cause they are all seem fine just 3 hours before. In the morning, I've realized my purple tang was the bad guy. He looks for that specific tang around the tank and beat him badly. I have another yellow tang and different tangs and they have been living peacefully together for almost 2 years. I have no idea how this kind of behavior could be developed. It just came out of no where suddenly. Anyone has any advice or similar situation?

Thanks guys!

Edited by darkseeker

You might move the purple tang to another tank for a few weeks. I've done this before to make an aggressive fish less aggressive because it feels like the new kid on the block when you reintroduce it. This will give the YT some time to recover.

I've seen lots of stories like your where fish have gotten along fine for a long time, then suddenly go to all-out war. My theory is that the drive for grazing territory builds with maturity until it becomes too much.

Thanks Jon, I will try to get him out of the tank as soon as I get back. It's going to be a pain getting him out. The weird thing is he just attack only that yellow tang, I have another smaller yellow tang in there and they're just fine... This is the weirdest thing I've ever experienced since starting this hobby...:(

Same genus, zebrasoma, John has good advice, if you can catch it!

Thanks guys! I had no luck of catching the purple tang but I somehow managed to get to Yellow Tang out. I put him in a acclimation box and the purple tang went crazy around that box :)).

They're tangs, and they're all evil rotten critters. I wish something would eat my yellow tang...

LoL, now I'm feeling it :D. I first thought it was the clowntang since he's the most aggressive. The funny thing is the smaller yellow tang is still doing fine with them. It's just weird... smh