PSA

madweazl

Every time I go out of town, there has to be a little drama with the tank regardless of how well I prepare. For the most part, things seemed to be going pretty well until about a week into the trip, my wife noticed that the ATO wasnt working properly. She noticed one of the brackets for the float switch had broken so she started maintaining the water level by hand. A couple days after that, the storm came through and knocked out the power. She let me know it was out and asked what to do? I told her to fire up the generator if it lasted more than about two hours and she did so (was about about 4.5 hours). I got home yesterday and most everything looked pretty good. The acroporas that were looking bad still looked bad but the monti undata is in really bad shape now. 

I started cleaning everything up, checking everything out, and ordered replacement brackets for the float sensors. Then I pulled the broken bracket out of the sump...

29096857557_bfeaaf7aa2_b.jpg

44034390521_3f9a74447b_b.jpg

And what they should look like

44034428201_7336004945_b.jpg

I had an ICP completed about two months ago and there wasn't anything out of the norm (slightly elevated aluminum but nothing to cause concern). Not sure when the magnet enclosure ruptured but I'll be doing a couple larger water changes this week regardless.

Just a friendly reminder to check everything and often. Hopefully things are on the mend...

Hopefully it has not been long since the rust and not much was leech out. It's usually just free GFO in a short time. I was so lucky that things always happened a day or 2 before I went out of town or on long vacay (CO2 tank exhausted just a few hours before I went to the beach and a blown socket just a day before I set my foot on the plane). I would recommend you to run some carbon and polyfilters at the moment. Good luck on solving that, bro!