Tunze Osmolator 3152 ATO failed

Tommy

Woke up to all 10g of my top off water dumped in the sump of my Red Sea 250 Reefer , the ATO pump was still running dry when i came down.  Luckily only very little water was on the cabinet floor.  Its the Tunze 3152 ATO , anyone had this happened before ? Check the float switch and it was still moving freely, isnt it supposed to only run for 2 min max ???

Yes. But it will reset after a few mins I believe. Take a look at the electronic eye. Sometimes that gets covered and needs to be cleaned with vinegar.

The 3152 does not have the electronic eye, it only has a float switch. The pump is supposed to stop running after a specified period of time though, so it sounds like a problem with the controller. I would reach out to Roger Vitko through the Tunze sponsor section on Reef Central or Reef2Reef. Roger is very helpful and will take care of you.

Honestly, I've had more problems with the Tunze pumps for their ATO's than any others I've ever used. Luckily customer service seems to be good, and replacement parts are available easily, buuuuuuut still. 

I hear you Issac !  I've had to keep replacing the pump like every 6 months or so, I do have a spare ATO which is the smart ATO but that one sometimes beeps for no reason and it's driving me nuts.