Help! Auto feeder broke and I’m leaving in 2 days!

bues0022

Manassas/Bristow/Gainesville people - can I borrow an auto feeder for a week?

I grabbed my auto feeder yesterday, set it up to test it because I’m going to be gone for 7 days starting Saturday. Good thing I tested it. It’s toast, and I don’t have enough time to order a new one.

Can I borrow one for a couple days? Or, is there someplace local I could go pick one up (that won’t cost an arm and a leg)?

Probably not a good idea to put a new piece of equipment on your tank and then leave for a week.. you don’t have anyone that can tank sit for you? You might try capital aquarium 703-822-1963 or blue ribbon aquatics 703-753-7566 for a feeder

I know - timing is pretty terrible for setting up new equipment. But, it’s eother I risk a new feeder, or risk dead fish from no feeding for a week. And no, I don’t have anyone that I know/trust to tank sit.

Petco usually have an Eheim in stock. I'm using one and it's pretty reliable. You can set it to minimal amount of feeding and let it keep running. Your fish probably will be underfed for a week but they are not going to die. Test the amount of food will be each rotation in a dry container first before putting it on your tank :)

I have an ehiem. Probably needs new batteries but your more then welcome to use it. I’m in Nokesville

Edited by epleeds

I have an ehiem. Probably needs new batteries but your more then welcome to use it. I’m in Nokesville

I ordered a feeder on amazon last night - thank goodness for Prime! It's supposed to get here Friday (if I believe that ordering on Wednesday night at 10pm and getting here Friday afternoon is still "two days"). If it doesn't show for some reason, or doesn't work, I'll ping you Friday evening. Thank you!

In my (and many others') experience, you can load up on food for a couple of days and the tank can easily go without for a week letting the fish forage. Unless the species are particularly delicate, a week is easily covered in a case like this. If your fish are used to the food that you'll deliver via the autofeeder, then setting up a reliable replacement is reasonable, but probably not required.

My feeder just arrived tonight! Talk about down to the wire. I programmed it, tested, and it looks like it’s working. I’ve also taken advice and have been over feeding the past couple days. All fish have nice beer guts right now. One more feed in the morning and cross my fingers for success!