Thinking on throwing the towel, this time is green cyano

Neto

Hi Folks, I have been having nightmares with this stuff and its been a year battle. I have lost many frags, small colonies and even fishes that I have had for 8+ years trying to battle this green cyano. I have tried many things such as zeovit, GFO, peroxide, cyano clean, etc and I cant seem to get rid of it. 

Has anyone had experience with this type of cyano? I am just very tired and am leaning more towards giving up. 

post-2633038-0-47519700-1534100923_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neto

Siphon as much as you can with a 50% water change and use chemipure. Stuff is a miracle cure!! LFS or petco should have.

What’s your water like? RODI, how many stages and what’s in each stage, changing filters regularly, dosing anything different? What’s the water change frequency?

Edited by ReefBum

(edited)

Siphon as much as you can with a 50% water change and use chemipure. Stuff is a miracle cure!! LFS or petco should have.

What’s your water like? RODI, how many stages and what’s in each stage, changing filters regularly, dosing anything different? What’s the water change frequency?

the RODI is a 5 stage unit and TDS reads 0. Filters are Sediment, two carbon block, membrane and finally DI from BRS. The filters are about 6 months old and I got them from BRS. I am not dosing anything different, only pellet food and reef frenzy nano. I change the water every two weeks.

thanks for the suggestion, I will try chemipure.

Edited by Neto

Are you using mixed bed DI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one I have is called nuclear grade from BRS.

What kind of lights do you have? If T5, when did you last change your bulbs?

How is the water flow in the tank? When did you last clean your powerheads? You'd be surprised how much flow you lose due to algae growth on them. I started getting cyano and after I cleaned my powerheads, the increased flow helped clear it up for good.

Try to siphon out as much as possible during water changes. You can even siphon it off the rocks into a filter sock in the sump more frequently. Manually remove it from the sand and stir the sand to bury it.

It's one of those things that will require you to stay on top of, but you can beat it.

What kind of lights do you have? If T5, when did you last change your bulbs?

How is the water flow in the tank? When did you last clean your powerheads? You'd be surprised how much flow you lose due to algae growth on them. I started getting cyano and after I cleaned my powerheads, the increased flow helped clear it up for good.

Try to siphon out as much as possible during water changes. You can even siphon it off the rocks into a filter sock in the sump more frequently. Manually remove it from the sand and stir the sand to bury it.

It's one of those things that will require you to stay on top of, but you can beat it.

I have a 8x24w ati powermodule and bulbs are about 5 month old, brand is korallen zutch, 5 whites, 2 blues and one pink. For flow there are two mp10’s and i clean them every now and then when i see accumulation of algae.

Thanks for your suggestions!

$10 worth of flucanozle will solve your issues.

Just siphon everything out you can see then dose it. About 30-60 days it will be pristine

Ok so far i siphoned most of the algae, moved sand and did a water change (25%). Tomorrow comes in the chemipure elite so i will try that for a few weeks and see how it works.

(edited)

So I added the Chemipure elite on Tuesday and tank looks better but I can see some of the cyano coming back. Time will tell. I changed the DI resin even though it was reading 0...

Does this DI resin look right to you?

post-2633038-0-26174700-1534428164_thumb.jpg

post-2633038-0-79398800-1534428181_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neto

I had a green brown snot algae that wouldn’t die. The Fluconazole took it out in one dose. I did a second just to be sure. No loss of fish or coral.

$10 worth of flucanozle will solve your issues.

Just siphon everything out you can see then dose it. About 30-60 days it will be pristine

From what I've seen, this is pretty much tried and tested, there is a huge thread over on R2R about it. I don't know if @alanm did this, but I think he referenced the thread? Seems the flucanozle will solve a myriad of problems, cyano being one of them, without any effect to fish, corals, pods, inverts, etc. If you think you've exhausted all options, why not give this a shot?

2eed2173bfa4b7212dd77842c032a180.jpg

In response to the above.

Here’s the blue BRS resin, turns blue to brown. Should be bright blue. If it’s exposed to air it will deplete as well. I only get the single refillable for that reason.

Edited by BtmDweller

Thanks everyone for your comments / suggestions.

Yesterday I did a 40% water change and removed the substrate (tropic eden). Tank looks 100% better to be honest but time will tell, I am getting some hair algae now and will be buying new clean up crew this weekend since the majority of the previous crew died due to the Cyano outbreak. Since i am trying chemiclean elite now, if that doesnt work, I will give another change to the fluconazole treatment next since I did try it out a few months ago for hair algae and did nothing, maybe the strain that I had was different.

Had a cyano problem recently and I was certain my water was TDS zero. Put my finger on the inside of the freshwater reservoir and I could feel a slime growing in there. Put TDS meter IN the reservoir and TDS 200! Have you checked TDS of the water in the reservoir?

Edited by sen5241b

Had a cyano problem recently and I was certain my water was TDS zero. Put my finger on the inside of the freshwater reservoir and I could feel a slime growing in there. Put TDS meter IN the reservoir and TDS 200! Have you checked TDS of the water in the reservoir?

thats a good one, however since I have a nano, I always use non-stored water

Will be tan when depleted (bottom of canister). Have you tried hydrogen peroxide for the GHA?

42283266400_3b027831a2_b.jpg

I have and will try that if the CUC that i am  buying doesnt do the job. 

Because you dosed chemipure and just did your water change you may want to do one smaller treatment to ensure it’s all gone and no mixing of different products in the water. Or after some time switch to a different product.