Low dKH and high calcium

YHSublime

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does copps still dose once a day on his tank? I know he used to dose into a big cup and then dump it manually for error prevention.

That's interesting, everything I read also says don't dose for everything all at once, as that can cause the alk to precipitate out. But then you have people that are just doing it on either side of their tanks and not at all worried!

I ran into a series of events that have screwed up my dosing, and my alk has been sitting dangerously low. I'm working on pulling it back up again, but also keeping an eye on calcium now. I think the best move I can make is just dose by hand to get to the numbers I want, and test from there to see what kind of consumption I'm getting. 

Back at the end of September, my alk had dropped to 6.09

I have been adding part 1 (alk) to bring that up, and matching with part 2 (calc) as that's what the instructions say to do at first. 

10/5 - 7.3dKH

10/7 - 6.37dKH (I dosed 10ml by hand, and my dosers went back online for 10ml a day)

10/9 - 6.87dKH and Calcium is 380. I added 20ml of part 2 (calcium) and will add another 10ml of part 1 (alk) later tonight. 

You may want to wait until everything is stabilized and rock solid before getting a red dragon acro. They are very sensitive to alk swings.

I'm convinced I've never been there I've got a bit of acro that is already sensitive, my numbers aren't rapidly dropping and rising. Doser back online now, think it's all groovy now!

For what it's worth, none of those levels are dangerously low, NSW is roughly 6.5 dKh.

Still lower than I'd like for a margin of error. Nearly up to 8, slow ride.

It appears I have found the magic number. 10ml a day of part 1 keeps me at 7.82, and my part 2 (calcium) at 7ml a day keeps me at 425. At least for 48 hours, so fingers crossed!