Algae Turf Scrubber for a nano?

YHSublime

I'm looking to add an Turf Scrubber to my tank. I've seen variations of DIY ones, but quite frankly, I think they look like garbage, even if they are efficient. I'm wondering if anybody knows of any brands that are plug and play, and efficient. 

My limitations are going to be space.

Tank size is 22 gallon, probably total 30-35 gallons with sump.

Man all the algae scrubbers I've seen online are super expensive. If funding isnt a factor then you could go with one of the setups from turbosaquatics.com, I've heard and seen pictures of success stories from them. Still not super pretty looking but it goes in the sump, so maybe not the biggest deal. At something like 400$ to start with, theyre really expensive for an algae scrubber but this one at least is quite effective. 

As an alternative, the king of DIY guy on youtube has a decent looking algae scrubber the he makes on video, and I'd imagine that if you use a tuna flora light from kessil it'll grow algae just the same as one of the expensive kits

I'm probably going to put one together to put in the new sump as well

What dies a turf scrubber do that a refugium filled with cheato doesn't? 

In my understanding, a turf scrubber is a place for fast growing algae to grow that is removable, so that it grows in the sump instead of the display when you have algae that outcompetes the chaeto. Then you can scrape it off and use it as a nutrient export. 

In my understanding, a turf scrubber is a place for fast growing algae to grow that is removable, so that it grows in the sump instead of the display when you have algae that outcompetes the chaeto. Then you can scrape it off and use it as a nutrient export. 

If algae "outcompetes the cheato" wouldn't you just get a bigger refugium with more cheato? BRS did a test of cheato and it seemed very effective at removing phosphates. Maybe a turf scrubber would remove nitrates.

If algae "outcompetes the cheato" wouldn't you just get a bigger refugium with more cheato? BRS did a test of cheato and it seemed very effective at removing phosphates. Maybe a turf scrubber would remove nitrates.

Thats great point, maybe a turf scrubber is better at keeping nitrates low than chaeto is? Thats what the king of diy guy says the turf scrubber is for in the video I was talking about above. I definitely don't think its a necessity but if you have trouble keeping nitrates low in a smaller sump you might have better luck using a scrubber alongside chaeto

Santa Monica makes drop algae scrubbers. They're expensive ($200+) but are plug and play. They sell them at marine depot.

I've seen hit or miss on them review wise, but def checked them out last night. 

I have a large HOB refugium on my 29 and the out spout grows algae like crazy. De facto a turf scrubber.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ocean-Refugium-Aquarium-Nursery/dp/B01FRX9DW0/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1533217024&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=hang+on+back+refugium&psc=1

Messy. Function follows form in this case. 

Man all the algae scrubbers I've seen online are super expensive. If funding isnt a factor then you could go with one of the setups from turbosaquatics.com, I've heard and seen pictures of success stories from them. Still not super pretty looking but it goes in the sump, so maybe not the biggest deal. At something like 400$ to start with, theyre really expensive for an algae scrubber but this one at least is quite effective. 

As an alternative, the king of DIY guy on youtube has a decent looking algae scrubber the he makes on video, and I'd imagine that if you use a tuna flora light from kessil it'll grow algae just the same as one of the expensive kits

I'm probably going to put one together to put in the new sump as well

It's expensive, but if it works, it works!

What does a turf scrubber do that a refugium filled with cheato doesn't? 

Aggressively grows algae, reducing nitrates and phosphates. Think of it like having a bus to get somewhere, or a sports car. I don't want a bus, I don't have space for a bus. I can do a sports car, and it's going to get me there faster. 

What about doing a nice cheato reactor?

I thought about that, do you think it would be as efficient? Any experience with them? 

Not saying you should pick it up or do this at all, but a really cool idea for the frag tank and stand that Eric has up for free would be to just plumb it into a setup and fill it with chaeto, dragons breath etc, and put a nice light over it. Now that would be alot of nutrient export. 

Ya know, overkill for the 22g rimless in your living room haha. 

Not saying you should pick it up or do this at all, but a really cool idea for the frag tank and stand that Eric has up for free would be to just plumb it into a setup and fill it with chaeto, dragons breath etc, and put a nice light over it. Now that would be alot of nutrient export. 

Ya know, overkill for the 22g rimless in your living room haha. 

Literally don't have space. Anything would have to go under the sump, which I'm using as a frag tank in the middle, so something would have to be plumbed in, or barely off to the side. I also have my ATO container in there.

I thought about that, do you think it would be as efficient? Any experience with them?

No personal experience but talked to someone that used the ARID one and they said it was amazing.

To me the cost is to much to justify it.

Is there any evidence to suggest an ATS removes nutrients faster than a refugium (provided both were sized appropriately)? Ultimately, if space is the biggest concern, a reactor will likely require less than the other options. If space is the major constraint, a GFO reactor will be your best bet to efficiently remove phosphates. 

when I had my turbo aquatics ATS it was amazing.. harvest every week of thickkkkk hair algae. never had an algae problem in the tank! also at one point I had to start regulating the amount of light because it was taking too many nutrients.. ive never used a chaeto reactor, but loved my scrubber.. 

when I had my turbo aquatics ATS it was amazing.. harvest every week of thickkkkk hair algae. never had an algae problem in the tank! also at one point I had to start regulating the amount of light because it was taking too many nutrients.. ive never used a chaeto reactor, but loved my scrubber.. 

That's usually what I've heard, plus you can keep it out of the way and I think they are cleaner, especially for small space like mine! 

Is there any evidence to suggest an ATS removes nutrients faster than a refugium (provided both were sized appropriately)? Ultimately, if space is the biggest concern, a reactor will likely require less than the other options. If space is the major constraint, a GFO reactor will be your best bet to efficiently remove phosphates. 

I dunno. I bet it's one of those YMMV. My goal is to grow algae in a contained area that I can harvest it out of and throw away with ease. I want to grow algae in a scrubber to keep it from growing any place else. Don't know what levels I'm at, will probably start testing soon.