H2overflow help

kingrowland1217

Need help quieting my overflow. I know this is 1000th post about this lol. I had my tank drilled for this specific overflow so I cant really change it now. So please don't reply with "you need to change to X style". I have a jebao 6000 return which is rated at 1500gph, I've tried it at 10% all the way up to 100%, makes same noise. They send these grommets to make the drain hole smaller but they haven't helped much. Its hooked to 1-1/2" hard PVC down to the sump. I don't really want to add a gate valve just because I'm worried it'll fail. Any other suggestions to try? I need to figure out a way to keep air out or maybe put a small tube down it to allow air in? Would soft drain hose make it any quieter? IDK. Thanks for any help 

post-2636612-0-43805800-1533048776_thumb.jpg

post-2636612-0-66961800-1533048782_thumb.jpg

I suspect that you're getting gurgling as air is sucked into the drain. You might try feeding some airline down into the drain to vent the air into the drain in a more controlled fashion (analogous to venting a Stockman or Durso standpipe). Unfortunately that's not a very good overflow design there. Another option would be to vent the drain pipe on the outside of the tank in similar fashion by drilling a hole in the top of the elbow and feeding some airline tubing a couple of inches in while leaving an inch or two out at the top.

Sent from my tablet using Tapatalk