Wireless Adapter for Neptune Apex

YHSublime

So I'm getting ready to install my Apex, but I'm fairly certain of two things: 1.) Even though it's wi-fi enabled, none of them are able to connect without an adapter? 2.) I need an adapter.

I could cable some cat5 over, but my walls are plaster, and I would have done that a long time ago if it wasn't the case. 

My conundrum is, what adapter can I use? Can I use a cheap one like this

If you have a old router, you can connect the apex to it, then connect that router to your main hub.

I don’t think the usb one works, you’ll have to get an adapter that has Ethernet port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a old router, you can connect the apex to it, then connect that router to your main hub.

I don’t think the usb one works, you’ll have to get an adapter that has Ethernet port.

Got it. I think I sold all my extra routers, I'll take a look around tonight. Yeah, I was reading I needed a gaming adapter?

do you have the new Apex or classic one?  New isn't supposed to require a wireless adapter.

It's a Classic Apex. Orange and White sticker on black controller. 

This is the one I’m using for my Apex Jr. 9c4ae194e957e5bfba884decceeb9bc1.jpg

Model GWU67

Working great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also use a powerline adapter. It's much more stable than my wireless router.

Man WAMAS is great!

I'm halfway tempted to make the trip right now!

This is the one I’m using for my Apex Jr.

Model GWU67

Working great for me.

Thanks man!

I also use a powerline adapter. It's much more stable than my wireless router.

The powerline adapter looks like it could serve two purposes, allow me to connect the Apex "wirelessly" with a ethernet cable, as well as boost the signal to the other side of my condo? Can't beat the 2'fer!

I ended up going with this

I'm a little confused as to if it is boosting my network automatically, or if I have to connect to the "intended" network I created. I'm presuming it has automatically connected to the 5GHZ network and the 2.4 is available as a side option as well? I'll have all sorts of questions trying to get the Apex hooked up I'm sure. 

Powerlines are generally better than extenders. With the extender, you'll have another SSID you'll need to connect your wireless devices that need the "boosted" signal. You'll have to run ethernet from the apex to the extender. The extender is connecting wirelessly to the router. With powerlines, you're using your home's electrical wiring to connect to your router (more stable and generally faster). You could add another router to the powerline and create an access point. 

If you wanted to keep it really simple and depending on how far away the apex is from the router, you could run a long ethernet cable and use cord covers. :)

Powerlines are generally better than extenders. With the extender, you'll have another SSID you'll need to connect your wireless devices that need the "boosted" signal. You'll have to run ethernet from the apex to the extender. The extender is connecting wirelessly to the router. With powerlines, you're using your home's electrical wiring to connect to your router (more stable and generally faster). You could add another router to the powerline and create an access point. 

If you wanted to keep it really simple and depending on how far away the apex is from the router, you could run a long ethernet cable and use cord covers. :)

OK, so I do have to connect to the SSID that is boosted with the wireless device. The extender and the ethernet are right by each other, that'll be easy. 

I'd like to run ethernet and use cord covers, but that's a lot of cord covers, and I think will be hard to look clean. I've already cabled long enough cords, I'd prefer a 1' over a 40'. 

I did a little more research, the RE305 works by actually extending your wifi signal using the same SSID and PW of the existing network. I'll still have to run ethernet from the Apex to the extender, but again, they're right by each other, so that'll be fine!

Hard wired is always better. Wireless adapters are not reliable.  When I did try that route, I too went with a powerline adapter and plugged it in.  I think I still have it if you want it. 

It can use the same SSID, but in reality, it's still two separate connections and running the same SSID won't allow you to pick and chose which one you want to connect to. For the device closest to the extender, it should automatically pick up the stronger signal, but if you're connected on your phone and move about your place, your phone could continue to maintain the weaker SSID. I don't know if your router and/extender has the ability to set minimum RSSI to release the connection so your device can connect to the stronger signal. However, it shouldn't be a problem for your Apex because it's stationary.