After 35 years getting out of the reef aquarium hobby

wassermanner

Both my wife and I are too ill to keep the aquarium anymore.

We would like to give the entire thing to one person, as I don't feel it should be broken up.

• 125 gallon standard aquarium, three years old.
  • 300W reef aquarium LED dimmable one year old.
  • 120W reef aquarium LED 55x3 watt, blue and white ratio 25:30. 3yrs old.
  • Oak stand with 8 coats Polyurethane about 10yrs old.
  • 5 power heads, heaters, etc.
  • About 100 bubble tip anemones. Bought one in 1998, it just divided that much over the years.
  • About 35 Ricordea mushrooms. Bought one in 1992, it just divided that much over the decades.
  • Waving hand corals. same story as above.
  • Some other soft corals.
  • One Powder Brown Tang 12 years old.
  • About 60lbs live rock.
  • and 124.768 cope-pods.

We have a sump and a Berlin Skimmer, but have not used it in over 8 years. It is included.

Better bring some strong people to help move it out.  You should be able to answer a couple of salt water questions so we know you won't kill the aquarium inhabitants within the first 4 weeks.

Want to look at it? I put a one and a half minute video on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/Fddi01XOnLw

Maybe consider donating to a school or some organization?

That's what I'm hoping as well. 

Sorry to hear that your health is not allowing you to continue with the hobby. I love that you listed the amount of cope-pods you have.

My heart goes out to you and your wife.  I can only imagine the massive life changes you'll both go through, and my heart hurts that you have to lose something simple that you enjoyed.  Please take care of yourself.  

Thanks for your kind words.

By the way, we also have a Blue And Gold Macaw we need to find a home for. I can't find a website for something like that.

Does anyone have any ideas? Posted flyers at vets offices and petshops already.

I know, I know It does not really belong here.

Thanks for your kind words.

By the way, we also have a Blue And Gold Macaw we need to find a home for. I can't find a website for something like that.

Does anyone have any ideas? Posted flyers at vets offices and petshops already.

I know, I know It does not really belong here.

I think fairfax animal shelter had birds being sheltered there. You could perhaps ask them to take them on or put fliers on there? Should probably call ahead though.

sorry to hear about your illnesses.  I'm going through that with my 95 y.o. mom, and it's very difficult.

How old is the Macaw?

The macaw is 31 years old. They have a life expectancy of 80 to 90 years. 

let me check with my sister she keeps birds she may be interested

Molcott, That's great.

Also, I checked with the animal shelter. If they don't find someone to adopt her they would euthanize her and that is totally unacceptable.

We have no family here who could take her and all our friends moved to that magical place for old folks called Florida.

I'm really sorry that you have to downsize and also rehome your parrot. There are a number of bird sanctuaries and rescue groups in the area that you could speak to. I also think Hilary here on WAMAS is plugged in to the avian world and may be able to help. Link to various rescue orgs below.

http://bird.rescueshelter.com/DC

Ruffled Feathers seems to have solid reviews and an emergency group that will pick up your macaw and help rehome her. I know it's not ideal, but it could be a solid fallback option in the event that you can't find a home with someone you know personally. 

I am SO depressed! After exactly 38YEARS I will no longer have an aquarium.    

Zygote2k (Rob), one of your members is coming by tomorrow morning to pick up our reef aquarium.

He told me he would keep it himself. Some of its inhabitants we have had for over 25 years. Please be good to them!

I remember in 1980 in Germany, just before we got married, I came home and there was an aquarium. My to be wife had gotten me one from someone else. It had piranhas in it. She did not know between them and me wanting a reef tank. Oh well. The rest is history.

I am SO depressed! After exactly 38YEARS I will no longer have an aquarium.    

Zygote2k (Rob), one of your members is coming by tomorrow morning to pick up our reef aquarium.

He told me he would keep it himself. Some of its inhabitants we have had for over 25 years. Please be good to them!

I remember in 1980 in Germany, just before we got married, I came home and there was an aquarium. My to be wife had gotten me one from someone else. It had piranhas in it. She did not know between them and me wanting a reef tank. Oh well. The rest is history.

Rob is an active member of our community, and certainly knows his way around keeping all things saltwater, it's in good hands, or it will be. We're sorry to see you go, it will be nice for you to have one less thing to worry about! 

• 2 weeks later...