AMAZON SMILE

Origami

Like a zillion other people, I place a bunch of orders on Amazon over the course of a year. Over a year ago, we added WAMAS to the list of charities that can receive a small portion (0.5%) of eligible purchases made by customers listing "The Washington DC Area Marine Aquarist Society" as the beneficiary of their amazon purchases.

A few of us are participating in the program and have WAMAS listed as our charity, but we never really advertised it to the community. (I guess that we wanted to test drive the process first.) 

The catch? You have to remember to actually place your order through the smile.amazon.com website. I confess that I'm not great at remembering it, but it gets easier once you do it a few times. Note: You can fill up your cart either at the more familiar amazon.com or smile.amazon.com - it really doesn't matter - and the cart will stay intact as you bounce between both. However, for your charity to receive the Amazon donation, checkout must happen through smile.amazon.com. 

Here's WAMAS' link over at Amazon.

Anyway, today I placed another order (needed an air filter for the car) and remembered to use the smile.amazon.com. While I was there, I checked the impact that I made from the 20 orders placed when I remembered to use smile.amazon.com and saw that my purchases generated $4.83 for WAMAS and that all-told, a small group of us have generated $19.42 for WAMAS.

Not much, but consider that only a small group of us probably know about the program and have listed WAMAS as the beneficiary. Maybe this post will change that.

Amazon's Smile program makes donations to a lot of very worthy charitable organizations. Ones like, St. Jude's Hospital, the American Cancer Society, Heifer International, and many more. To date, they've distributed over $89 million of their profits to charities in accordance with their Smile program participants wishes.

If you're of a mind to make a little more of your purchases at Amazon, head over to smile.amazon.com and read more. And, if you'd like, use this link to take you directly to our listing over at Amazon.

The catch? You have to remember to actually place your order through the smile.amazon.com website. Note: You can fill up your cart either at the more familiar amazon.com or smile.amazon.com - it really doesn't matter - and the cart will stay intact as you bounce between both. However, for your charity to receive the Amazon donation, checkout must happen through smile.amazon.com. 

Wish I would have known about this I order stuff from Amazon at least twice a week

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well, now is a good time to start! Once you do it, Amazon is great about reminding you as well! I'm at the stage that I have to remember which once I'm going to use!

Thanks for sharing this. I didn’t even realize WAMAS was a 501©(3) and eligible to participate in SMILE. My wife and I order so much on Amazon that we suffer from primenesia.... f504914b4109c0eaa1f4485934702dc5.jpg

Glad there is new way to support the club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing this. I didn’t even realize WAMAS was a 501©(3) and eligible to participate in SMILE. My wife and I order so much on Amazon that we suffer from primenesia.... f504914b4109c0eaa1f4485934702dc5.jpg

Glad there is new way to support the club!

Oh man. This is us.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I just changed my Amazon smile to Wamas. Perhaps you might consider adding WAMAS the name tile...

WAMAS - The Washington DC Area Marine Aquatic Society

I searched for Wamas in the charity options, but nothing came up without searching the formal name.

Matt

Edited by dmatt56

Hi everyone,

I just changed my Amazon smile to Wamas. Perhaps you might consider adding WAMAS the name tile...

I searched for Wamas in the charity options, but nothing came up without searching the formal name.

Matt

Thank you for your support.

I've sent a request in to the good folks at AmazonSmile to see if we can get our listing modified. We're unable to do it ourselves.

Thank you for your support.

I've sent a request in to the good folks at AmazonSmile to see if we can get our listing modified. We're unable to do it ourselves.

Hi Matt. Amazon came back and said that they'd change it, adding (WAMAS) at the end of the legal name. I didn't see the addition when I searched just now, but I was able to search on "WAMAS" and we came up in the listing. That's a good sign as it appears we're searchable using the term,"WAMAS" now. Thanks for the suggestion!

• 11 months later...

An update... every little bit helps. If you don't already have a designated charity of choice with Amazon, it's easy to set one up. WAMAS is just one of the options. I chose it because of my personal connection to the community. However, there are many, many very worthy organizations that you can support. Check it out!

Smile.thumb.png.9ac19d61cf8ed77a7a3c4261d112b052.png

I put The Washington DC Area Marine Aquarist Society under search for charity and it comes back no results found. What am I doing wrong?504510ec3bfc752266efb02fe47f1116.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh snap! Welp, I always use amazon smile, but never thought WAMAS was on there. 

Though, do you guys really want my $10 to go here instead of St. Jude's?

Looked at St. Jude's. They got like 8m this year. my $10 can go to WAMAS instead