Aqua Illumination LEDs

TrueTricia

Hey all

Has anyone here at WAMAS used these lights?  

I've watched a couple of the review videos.  They seem easy to use, high-quality, a fair number of bells and whistles (like Apex compatibility), and provide decent PAR output.  

However, when compared to the Radion X15 G4 Pro (which covers relatively the same spread coverage), they're only $50 cheaper brand new.  Even looking on AI's website, they admit that the Radions have a higher PAR output for the spread coverage.  Now they are at about the same price as the Kessil, but their website shows they have a higher PAR rating for the spread.  Makes you wonder if they're priced competitively or not quite.  

To be fair, I want my new tank to be simple.  Not a lot of SPS, and even then, probably easy stuff like montipora and birdsnest.  A few RBTAs.  So my light needs aren't going to be too complex.  

Anyways, interested in hearing from your all's thoughts or experiences with these.  Exploring lighting options.  

(edited)

So I have a few.  3 AI Prime HD's and 3 Hydra 52 (non HD).  

Here is the deal with the Apex integration.   The new Hydra 26/52HD (do not believe the primes) will in a future Apex update will be able to be controlled by the Apex, or so we have been told.  This will only be on the Apex 2016 model.   There is no ETA on when that will be available.  On the old ones (non-HD) you need either a discontinue Apex module to control them, good luck finding that!

I just use the Aquailluminaition website to manage the lights, very rarely play with them after they were setup.  Sometimes just tweak the balance a little bit, but I'm not in it every day.  They are plugged into the EB8 power strip, so if the tank over heads the Apex shuts that power port off to assist in reducing the heat.  That is the only Apex integration I have done.  

I have one of the AI Primes over a 10g nuvo that I use as my Frag/QT tank and one over my Fish/QT tank at the moment.  I had two over my 72g Bow front before it was taken down due to a stand issue.  I'm currently planning on putting 2 of the Hydra52(non-HD) over a Red Sea 525, still working on that build.  The test run that I did they appear to be good, however I will not know Par levels until I get water in that tank, then I will map the par values out with the Seneye meter.  There is a Club Par meter that is available as well. 

BRS has done some great videos about the various lights and the PAR levels they put out. 

This link is someone who uses the Hydra 26 on a red sea.

I would buy them again.  Once I get mine up and running, I'll provide the PAR map with lights that I have.

Edit: Spelling is hard and formatting

Edited by jayh

Didn't reply to the cost factor, with kessil you would need to purchase the controller as well, or buy/build the Kessil to Apex cable..  I would though ecotech into the mix, as the Reeflink controller can also be used to manage the wave pumps if you have them.  Ecotech also has a special module you would have to purchase if you wanted to control them with the Apex.

I have two AI Prime HD over my Fluval EVO 13.5 (I know, way over kill) and I like them very much. I’ve never owned any Radions or Kessils, so I can’t offer a comparison there.

I found the Prime HDs very easy to set up, program, and control trough the app on my iPhone. Pairing the second unit was very easy as well. I like being able to use my phone to be able to make any adjustments to schedule (which I don’t do very often, but still nice and easy) or change the spectrum for a minute so I can get a picture that isn’t washed out in blue.

Overall I’ve been happy with these lights and would recommend them. I plan to incorporate the two Prime HDs with an Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid when I eventually upgrade to a larger tank.

If you're looking for LEDs and simplicity, the Kessil A360 cant be beat. It is as close to T5 plug and play as you can get in a quality LED; select a color percentage (one knob or % if you're using a controller) you like the look of and an appropriate intensity and never touch them again. The ability to manipulate a bunch of different color channels is largely responsible for the black eyes LEDs get. As for one being better than another, I really dont think there is any difference between the Radions, Hydras, or the Kessils. Once you get them set to where they all excel, they put out the same PAR with the same growth rates. Kessils have better spread and color blending than all of them and because of that design, can be placed very close to the water. To match that, the Radions have to be placed much higher; the PAR is considerably higher on the Radions (over Kessil) but once you mount them higher for the spread and blending, PAR is the same. Ultimately, your personal preference is the only deciding factor as they will all work. Things like parts and warranty support could be another deciding factor (i.e. local parts support or warranty length). 

I have 4 AI 26's on my 3 foot deep dimension tank and I really like them. Much more control than the kessil that I use as my refugium light, but they are slightly more expensive. I like controlling the lights from my iPad.....I have had my lights for 2.5 years and am still happy with them

Darren

AI is all I have over all of my systems, I have 2 hydra 52s, 2 hydra 26s, and 3 Primes. They all have virtually the same LED puck it’s just a matter of if they have 1,2, or 4. I absolutely love them. They are easy to control, feature packed, and the App is super easy to use. Also it is one of the only login systems on the market that doesn’t require a separate bridge/controller to make them WiFi enable, it is already built in. So you can adjust the lights from across the room or across the world. They can also be integrated with a DropCam (now called nest cam) so you can visually watch the adjustments you make to your tank as you make them if you aren’t able to be in front of it.

If you have anymore questions or wanna see my setup/settings let me know.

Also BRS has a video that includes an optimized spectrum for the lights. It looks like the image below.

411849475e863d1e6c2c1a98ec208370.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're looking for LEDs and simplicity, the Kessil A360 cant be beat. It is as close to T5 plug and play as you can get in a quality LED; select a color percentage (one knob or % if you're using a controller) you like the look of and an appropriate intensity and never touch them again. The ability to manipulate a bunch of different color channels is largely responsible for the black eyes LEDs get. As for one being better than another, I really dont think there is any difference between the Radions, Hydras, or the Kessils. Once you get them set to where they all excel, they put out the same PAR with the same growth rates. Kessils have better spread and color blending than all of them and because of that design, can be placed very close to the water. To match that, the Radions have to be placed much higher; the PAR is considerably higher on the Radions (over Kessil) but once you mount them higher for the spread and blending, PAR is the same. Ultimately, your personal preference is the only deciding factor as they will all work. Things like parts and warranty support could be another deciding factor (i.e. local parts support or warranty length). 

I don't have any of these fancy LED's. But, I've read/heard similar praises about the Kessils. It's virtually plug-and-play. 

It's nice to be able to play and adjust the LED spectrums. But, unless you really know what you're doing, you may end up causing more harms than goods. 

I'm waiting for a good sale on the AP700. :laugh:​ 

So that screen shot from my controller above is the exact spectrum that kessil and other lights use that is already preconfigured. It is the most optimized spectrum for growing corals it’s just a matter of setting it yourself from the app versus turning a knob on the kessils.

So that screen shot from my controller above is the exact spectrum that kessil and other lights use that is already preconfigured. It is the most optimized spectrum for growing corals it’s just a matter of setting it yourself from the app versus turning a knob on the kessils.

While this may be working well for you, there is nothing to suggest that this is an optimized configuration for growing corals. 

While this may be working well for you, there is nothing to suggest that this is an optimized configuration for growing corals.

Nothing except for the study that was done by by Echotech’s Coral Lab and was found to best produce the most optimized spectrum for coral growth. It is also recommended by Bulk Reef Supply in the video above for all Aqua Ilimination lights that they sell for optimal growth. It works best for me and many others because there was a study done to back it up.

Nothing except for the study that was done by by Echotech’s Coral Lab and was found to best produce the most optimized spectrum for coral growth. It is also recommended by Bulk Reef Supply in the video above for all Aqua Ilimination lights that they sell for optimal growth. It works best for me and many others because there was a study done to back it up.

I understand your enthusiasm and yes, there was an Ecotech (Radion specific) sponsored "study" that noted good results with the AB+ profile (again, Radion specific). There are however, users that have run all channels at 100% with exceptional results (e.g. Sanjay Joshi) that easily match or exceed anything done in Coral Labs. Dont take the information you saw as gospel, there are many factors that lead to success and lighting is but one of them. I will agree that the AB+ is a good starting point if you like the look of a deep blue tank. 

Thank you everyone for the input.  There's so much good information and knowledge out there in the Reefing community.  I've got plenty of time to do research, price shop, etc., as I won't need to actually buy anything until December-ish.  

It's good to hear that people are using them, are happy with their lighting choice, and other opinions on the Kessil products.

Thanks all!

I'll put this out there and by quick since you already have so much feed back. I have 6 AI Prime HDs, 4 over my Red Sea Reefer 350 and 1 over my IM Nuvo 20, and another 1 over my 10g frag. I absolutely love the AI lights and wouldn't have chose a different option. I find that they put out good PAR, color up all corals (SPS and zoas), and are extremely easy to use. I fun mine at about 70% and am getting 200+ Par 8 inches below the water, and 80-100 Par at the very bottom of the tank. 

Thank you all for the feedback.  I think I'm going to go with the AI lights.  I like the profiles of them for my condo (coming in white), and the ability to easily upgrade if I need.  I can buy a 52 or a 26 to start off with and add another as I start to move towards SPS (if I do).  I also like the ability to control them remotely, and the lack of need for additional equipment.  

THANK YOU

The 26 gives you a lot of flexibility in regard to placement (a more modular approach) but adds an additional cable as well (2 cables with two 26s vs 1 with the 52) if the aesthetics are aa issue (I think the flexibility in placement is worth the eyesore of the additional cable). 

The 26 gives you a lot of flexibility in regard to placement (a more modular approach) but adds an additional cable as well (2 cables with two 26s vs 1 with the 52) if the aesthetics are aa issue (I think the flexibility in placement is worth the eyesore of the additional cable). 

That's definitely something to think about.  Looking at the lighting footprint of the 52, I might be able to get away with just a 52 if I end up with a 36L tank.  With my current 48L tank, I feel like even with the 52, I'd still probably need a second light eventually, but I'd have stronger light for SPS where it's placed.  And until my new tank is really ready for SPS, I could probably get away with just the 52. Thoughts? 

I'm also probably hanging a hollow wood "beam" from my ceiling, and attaching the lights to those.  Housed in the beam will be light cables and connections (extension cords), to hopefully minimize the wired look.  

For a 36" long tank, you'll definitely be better off with a pair of 26s to even out the coverage; with the 52, you can expect a "hotspot" in the center 18" of the tank with a significant drop off outside of that. The 26s will let you push the arrays further apart (somewhere around 15" would like work well) to mitigate that somewhat. This will lower your ability to place high light demand corals within that hotspot but will give you a larger sweet spot for low and medium light level corals (seems to match your current intent). When the time comes, you can add a third 26 to the setup and be in good shape throughout the tank and it will also carry over to the larger tank well if/when that happens.