Automatic Feeder

A.ocellaris

Hey! 

I am going on vacation soon and I was thinking on getting an automatic feeder. I have heard really bad experiences with these devices and wanted to know if you guys can recommend me one that has worked for you.

I use the ehiem one. I had to modify the feeding window to allow less food each turn. What I would suggest is get one a week before you leave so u have time to fine tune it if need be.

Yea I have the eheim everyday fish feeder also. It helped me a lot to use pellets. As a large flake would clog the feeder window and would stop all feeding.

I have a AFS for my Apex and still like the Eheim way better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eheim is good, but I had bad luck with them. Both died.

I have been using petco's feeder and works well for me in the past 3 years.

As mention above, pellets is best.  make sure you setup and monitor it for at least a few days before the vacation and use a feeding ring to prevent food from going into the overflow. 

(edited)

Eheim. I've used mine while away on several trips that have ranged from 2 days to 23 days. No problems yet. I just load it with pellets and put a freshly charged set of AA batteries in before leaving.

Two suggestions you do end up getting an Ehiem:

1. Follow the directions for programming it word for word the first few times you use it. It's VERY quick and easy to set up - just three buttons. But you must cycle through all 4 feeding cycles during the set up - even if you only plan on feeding once or twice per day. Otherwise, the feeding cycle you programmed you entered might not register as complete and won't become 'active'.

2. if you feed pellets that are 2mm or smaller, don't fill the drum more than ~40% full. Otherwise, as it rotates, some of the pellets will slip through the vent screen and get into the motor. Could create the potential for it to jam.

Edited by malacoda

Eheim works well and is quiet. My Neptune AFS works but is quite a bit noisier.

As others have mentioned, the Eheim works well. Like epleeds, I had to block off part of the hole so less pellets would come out. A simple piece of tape did the trick. For larger tanks with a lot of fish, it shouldn’t be a problem, but I have a 30 Gal with several smaller fish.

Due to having a rimless tank with a screen top, I couldn’t use the included mounting bracket. So I made a custom mount out of scrap pieces of acrylic I had laying around. I also use a feeding ring so the pellets have time to sink instead of going down the overflow.

Definitely recommend setting it up several days in advance and monitoring it before you leave like others have suggested.

I need to find a better auto feeder too, due to upcoming trip. I didn't like Ehiem when I had it (I lost it when I moved). I have a type that works a different way, but it really only works if the pellets are kind of big, and I just have two small fish. Worrying about bad auto feeders is why I only want to get fish that will eat pods.

The Eheim that has the rotating chamber is OK, but I find that it doesn't handle different sizes of food well.  If I open it wide enough to let out the big chunks then everything small streams out.

This one from Eheim is more expensive, but it's a Cadillac.  Works great and you can put everything in it from flakes to pellets to cyclopeeze powder.

https://www.marinedepot.com/Eheim_Twin_Battery_Powered_Automatic_Fish_Feeder_Automatic_Fish_Feeder-Eheim-EH3585200-FIFDFEAF-vi.html

It uses a couple of screw augers to dispense.

Thank you all! I will set it up a week in advance to make sure it works. I do feed flakes and I have small fish, what pellet size do you recommend?

Thank you all! I will set it up a week in advance to make sure it works. I do feed flakes and I have small fish, what pellet size do you recommend?

I'd go with the small pellets. 

and you'll need a feeding ring if you have an overflow, of course, or else it will all go right down the drain.

Ehiem also makes an attachment that releases the pellets under the water.

Yes, I bought this one with the feeder for 12-13 extra bucks.

(edited)

I have that feeder. It slides over top of flake and small pellet foods as it turns, so I can't tell what it going in the tank. Seems to only work correctly with bigger pellets.

Edited by treesprite

(edited)

So The automatic feeder arrived (just as a fyi, It looks like SaltwaterAquarium has its warehouse in PA, so stuff gets here very quick without paying extra for expedited shipping).

I also bought the base so the food has time to sink. I already tried with flakes and works great! Kind of small though.

post-2636629-0-93071500-1531953293_thumb.png

Edited by A.ocellaris

I have that feeder too. I liked that you can put exactly the amount of food you want for each feeding. What I didn’t like was that it requires an air pump be attached to it to keep the food dry. The one time I used it without an air pump, the food got too moist and stuck to the feeder tray.

The Eheim has a built in fan that runs during each feeding.

Yeah, I've started to order more from saltwateraquarium than brs due to how quickly free shipping arrives.

Bring the receipts to the meeting for free raffle tickets. 8)  One ticket for every $25 spent.