Looking for help cutting glass in an ATO

jayh

So I recently picked up a Red Sea 525 and looking to convert the ATO reservoir into a refugium.  What I would to do is put a bulk head into the side for the return to the sump area.  Just wondering if anyone has done this before and would be willing to lend a hand and knowledge...  Looking to do something like this: 

It's very easy to drill tank.

But if you never done one, I would highly recommend that you get a used 10 gallons tank to practice before you attempt to drill the ATO reservoir. ALso, make sure it's not tempered glass.

Do you know how thick the glass is in it?  It's usually pretty easy to cut it, but thin glass or close to the edge is a bit more risk of cracking.  You need to be at least the diameter of the hole away from any edge of the glass, I've heard.  

(edited)

Yeah, glass thickness is about 1/8 of an inch.  It's not tempered as others have drilled on them with success.   I was eyeballing a drill press to help out with keeping it straight.  Good call on the distance from the edge.

Thanks for the inputs! :)

edit: spelling is hard...

Edited by jayh

Don't need a drill press, especially on 1/8"  It's so thin that it doesn't really matter if it goes straight.  You'll be through it before you know it with a battery powered drill with a clutch and a diamond bit.  

I have three bits sized for 1", 1.5" and 2" ABS bulkheads, a battery drill, and a towel.  If you bring it to FragFest on July 22 we can take a crack at it.  I can't guarantee it won't break, though.  I can only try not to break it.

I can also bring a dirty old 10g tank if you want to practice on one and then try to do it yourself. 8)

Drilling is easy. Keep it wet, use a new diamond bit, and a guide is helpful, but hey, live fast! 

Thicker glass is actually easier, IMO, slow and steady on thinner stuff. My Mr. Aqua is 5/16 thickness, and just did that in the bathtub. Only tanks I've ever cracked while drilling were 10 gallons that I was practicing on, luckily enough. 

As Alan said, get the appropriate-sized diamond drill bit and either do it (is not that hard/run water from a hose while drilling/avoid having the cutout fall and crack the opposite wall) or bring to to the fragfest: might be a nice tutorial as Alan mentioned in a separate thread. I have drilled 15-20 glass BH over the years without issue, although the first one results in a genuine pucker-factor :-). I actually have a few slabs of glass that I can bring to the fragfest for you to practice on [glass top to my frag tank which I do not use]/PM me if you want it.