Red Sea 170 -help

Maria-Elena

Hi, I just bought a Red Sea 170 system from someone that was moving. Is someone familiar with it? I need help with some gurgling noise and in general. This was a very good opportunity for me to have a nice tank, but a lot to learn too. I live in Springfield if someone can visit us for a brief general session. I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any experience with the RS 170 and haven't seen one so take this for what it's worth.

Looking at a few pictures on BRS's site and glancing at the operating manual, it apears that it has a small sump in the cabinet. From one of the pictures, it looks like there are at least two drain lines that come down to the sump. One of the drain lines looks like it has a valve on it. You'll need to open this valve just enough that it maintains a quiet siphon (that is, not sucking air) with just a trickle going down the other, secondary overflow pipe. (This is covered in section 4 of the operating manual).If the valve is not set right, you could get gurgling or sucking sounds. If all this is set up correctly, noise could be coming from water cascading down into the sump.

Hope this helps somewhat.