Red Sea 170 System-help

Maria-Elena

Hi, I just bought a Red Sea 170 system from someone that was moving. Is someone familiar with it? I need help with some gurgling noise and in general. This was a very good opportunity for me to have a nice tank, but a lot to learn too. I live in Springfield if someone can visit us for a brief general session. I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

Showing my East Coast ignorance (CA boy): Springfield in what state? Turns out there is one in Md, Va, and WV according to Siri lol. There is a lot of knowledge here: pictures and more specific questions would be helpful.

(edited)

I presume she means Springfield, VA. But the joke is that there’s one in every state. Thus, the Simpsons are from there. :D

I’m not much better than a beginner myself, and I won’t be able to come anytime this week. But, if you’d like someone to come and do some guesswork next week, do let me know.

Edited by KingOfAll_Tyrants

I have the Red Sea 250 and with the noises all you have to do is take your time to tune it.  Slowly turning the round knob on the return plumbing to either direction until the noise is gone but do it slowly and very little turn each time.  You want the return water to go down the sump smoothly and not splashing or too strong.  When this is achieved, the Red Sea is very quiet.  Good luck !

I have the Red Sea 250 and with the noises all you have to do is take your time to tune it.  Slowly turning the round knob on the return plumbing to either direction until the noise is gone but do it slowly and very little turn each time.  You want the return water to go down the sump smoothly and not splashing or too strong.  When this is achieved, the Red Sea is very quiet.  Good luck !

This is your answer! 

Thank you for your responses. I live in Springfield, VA. I got this beautiful tank and I feel overwhelmed because I want to take very good care of everything. We already regulated the water pump, but I would like guidance with water changes (can I change the water from the sumps?, if I should install dossier pumps for Kh and CA (if I leave for one week), what supplements I should use for my corals. What I have to pay attention with the corals I have, etc. If someone can prepare a routine list for me, or can come to our house to brief me a little bit about the livestock and equipment I have, that would be wonderful. This is what it came with the tank

Equipment includes:

Reefer 170 tank/stand/sump/ATO and random flow diverter on the return. Part of sump is a cheato + LR refugium for copepods

AI Hydra 26HD LED light. 90W, full wifi control, perfect with appropriate mounting bracket

Reef octopus 110-SS skimmer

Ecotech Vectra S1 return pump WITH ecotech battery backup

Maxspec Gyre XF230 pump, controller AND battery backup

Kessil H80 Tuna Flora refugium LED light with goose neck

Tons of red sea test kits

Stock

~40lbs of pukani and tonga shelf live rock. This started as dry rock and has been seeded new. No bad hitchhikers. Coraline starting to grow

Fish - All fish have been through a 10 week quarantine with copper. You're not getting an ich outbreak with this tank unless you add something bad. You're getting a clean system to start with.

2 x black ocellaris clowns

1 x tailspot blenny

1 x blue/gold gamma

1 x target mandarin

assorted clean up crew consisting of snails, hermits and a bunch on mini brittle stars in the rock

Coral

Bird of paradise

Green Birdsnest

purple bonsai acro

kidney shot acro

strawberry shortcake acro

purple montipora digitata

tricolor millipora

cherry goniopora

green goniopora

neon green torch

orange octospawn

neon mushroom rock

green psammocora

(edited)

Keep reading here and on reefcentral or maybe hire someone for a bit. Typical water changes are weekly: remove 10% then add 10% of total volume (so you will need 20-30G mixing tank/container if your overall system is in the 200-300G range). It is OK to pull it from the sump, but many use the opportunity to siphon dead crap from the sand and corners of their tank]. Mine are 150G per week, so I have a pipe plumbed directly to the sewer.  There are many ways to do a water change: regardless, you remove waste and replace necessary components (calcium carbonate, magnesium, etc.) Make sure that new water is filtered (google RODI) and matched for both salinity and temp (you will need a heater in your mixing tank) and ideally the salt should be added more that 24h prior (with some sort of pump mixing it in - with a bit of effort, the mixing pump can also be plumbed to then pump the volume into your sump). Whoever prepared that list/QT'd with copper seems to know what they are doing and probably owes you some instruction as part of the deal. But specific questions here will be answered ["such as how much water changes and from where do I remove it"]

Edited by Steve175

• 2 weeks later...

Who sold you that tank? They obviously wrote up that write up you copied and pasted about what is included. Have you kept a reef tank before, or did you buy one as a package first time? Steve left some great information above. 

some of my hard corals have white tips. Should I be worried? Thanks

Some hard corals tips are white when they grow however there is a condition called ALK burn which the ALK is too high In the tank causing damage to the corals.

Have you tested your levels?

How old is the tank? You said it was new, most new tanks aren’t stable enough for SPS for about 6 months.

agree with Epleeds. you need some time to get the tank gets mature. if you add fish and the coral at the same time , there will be cycle hike which will stress the fish and coral.

If you get the water and the live rock from previous owner, that's different story. (bit safer than starting from the scratch.)

PM me. I am not an expert but I have been kept the tank for 17 years. :)

I pass by Springfield time to time.(lived there for 15 years near Huntsman blvd).