Recently moved to Quantico from San Diego

Hey everyone, I'm in the military and recently transferred to Quantico from SoCal. I cannot WAIT to get my tank set back up once my household goods get here! I've done a little scoping out of LFS in the area and let me tell you, CORAL PRICES HERE ARE RIDICULOUS compared to SoCal. 

Do you guys have any go-to places in the area?

Pic of my tank when I first set it up in 2016 for your time. 44G AquaJapan w/ StarFire Glass & Sump. Hard plumbing throughout.

post-2636670-0-52094900-1530305793_thumb.jpg

Welcome back to the East Coast I guess lol. I am in Stafford right next to Quantico. Our area is split with the WAMAS group and the Richmond Reefers group. There are many stores that area good, but all of them are 20-40 miles away from Quantico. I personally am a huge fan of Supreme Reefs right now and what Ben has going on. But we have numerous phenomenal vendors that will go out of their way to help you out.

Aaron

Welcome :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Yup cost of living = high cost commercial space, high cost employees, higher profit margin. Some of us sell stuff at reasonable prices. Should get a lot of free corals at the frag fest. If you can make it to Manassas I have some stuff in a frag tank could hook you up with for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Callmejus, I recently moved here from New Orleans myself because I'm military. I haven't found much here either but I am still looking. I think I might just start buying from members on wamas. If you check out the sales group. They always have great deals. From what I've seen, people on here aren't trying to get rich.

• 1 month later...

We made the move from San Diego three years ago (retired from the Marine Corps). There are many shops (check the vendor forums) within an hour and yes, despite a cost of living that is almost identical, things can get expensive. I think most of it boils down to availability of wholesalers in the Los Angeles area; the shear volume of people in the hobby in southern CA seems to a lot higher. 

There are some talented reef keepers on this forum and I've sourced many corals from a number of them.