Anywhere I can check out a tank lit by T5 or T5 LED hybrid?

razzpatazzz

I'm considering adding some supplemental T5s or switching to them and was wondering if I could see what they look like in person, either in store or at a club members home. A lot of people seen to mention the flat look they have and their distaste of it so I got curious. I'm Haymarket but anywhere around Centreville/Fairfax would be fine too. Thanks

I'm in Arlington, if you're around this area, you can see a fully lit T5 setup. 

When you say T5 keep in mind bulb color combinations. Running ATI blue+/actinic with halides. Also Ben with Supreme Reefs running the same. If you want to see a variety of corals under T5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in Arlington, if you're around this area, you can see a fully lit T5 setup.

Yeah do you think you'll be free this Friday or weekend? I can come by

When you say T5 keep in mind bulb color combinations. Running ATI blue+/actinic with halides. Also Ben with Supreme Reefs running the same. If you want to see a variety of corals under T5.

Yeah I'm just trying to grasp what the "flat" look means because I have actually never seen a T5 only tank. I'd love to see your tank anyway though if you don't mind

What are you running right now. I used to run T5 for 10+ years. Never had an issue. Grew everything.

Running 2 xr15s over 48" but I wanted a more even spread without breaking the bank. So I'm considering the aquatic life retro fixture but I've seen some people suggest just running T5s so I'm debating either way. I'm not worried about if it will grow things either way really

Yeah do you think you'll be free this Friday or weekend? I can come by

Friday is good, PM me

If you want to make the trek to Fredericksburg, I have a 48" AquaticLife over a 75g with a pair of Kessils right now. I'm using 2 Blue+, and AquaBlue Special, and a Purple+ which gives a 12k'ish look. The Kessils are running at 60% color which is around 14k (I'm not in to blue tanks).  

Some of my thoughts on the fixture:

Dislikes
The finish is actually pretty good, the fit leaves a bit to be desired
Reflectors have a nice polish but are a simple ^ design and dont reflect nearly as well as something from the likes of ATI or even the LET retrofits due to the shape
The above mentioned hanging cables will work fine if you live in a hobbit house...
Cables exiting both sides vs a single cable off the back sucks but it cut the overall cost and is fairly easy to modify
End caps for the T5s are pretty cheesy
Edit: The power cords are short as well

Simple integration of LEDs with T5s that looks pretty clean all said and done

I wouldn't run it unless it was under a canopy personally but that kind of defeats the purpose of the fixture. 

I just added a t5 retrofit kit from BRS, to my reefbreeders 48”. I’m currently running a coral+ and actinic (also have a blue+, still trying to decide what combo i like better). The kit was only $130, if you don’t mind a little diy. Very happy with it so far.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/t5-ho-miro-4-retrofit-kit-let-lighting.html

If you want to make the trek to Fredericksburg, I have a 48" AquaticLife over a 75g with a pair of Kessils right now. I'm using 2 Blue+, and AquaBlue Special, and a Purple+ which gives a 12k'ish look. The Kessils are running at 60% color which is around 14k (I'm not in to blue tanks).  

Some of my thoughts on the fixture:

Dislikes

The finish is actually pretty good, the fit leaves a bit to be desired

Reflectors have a nice polish but are a simple ^ design and dont reflect nearly as well as something from the likes of ATI or even the LET retrofits due to the shape

The above mentioned hanging cables will work fine if you live in a hobbit house...

Cables exiting both sides vs a single cable off the back sucks but it cut the overall cost and is fairly easy to modify

End caps for the T5s are pretty cheesy

Edit: The power cords are short as well

It is light weight and easy to assemble

Simple integration of LEDs with T5s that looks pretty clean all said and done

I wouldn't run it unless it was under a canopy personally but that kind of defeats the purpose of the fixture. 

Yeah this is the one I was looking at since I don't have a canopy. If I decided to go hybrid LED/T5 instead of T5's I think this is definitely the fixture I'm shooting for

Also that's a lot of cons LOL. Would you still recommend it?

+1 for T5/LED combo. I run T5 Actinics with MH and absolutely love them. Run LED on Frag tank with great growth. The combo would be awesome.

I have a 36 inch aquatic life with a kessil 360 and two gen3 xr15’s over a deep blue 80 frag. I’m around Friday during the day in Bethesda.

I'd just add a 3rd xr15 and call it a day

Yeah that's also something I've considered. It's just the T5s give me far better spread and doesn't create shadows where my current light does so that's why I'm mostly interested. Maybe if I add 1or 2 additional LED fixtures it wouldn't be an issue.

I have a 36 inch aquatic life with a kessil 360 and two gen3 xr15’s over a deep blue 80 frag. I’m around Friday during the day in Bethesda.

Thank you for offering! But bethesda is a little too far for me

Yeah this is the one I was looking at since I don't have a canopy. If I decided to go hybrid LED/T5 instead of T5's I think this is definitely the fixture I'm shooting for

Also that's a lot of cons LOL. Would you still recommend it?

I think you get a lot for the money with the fixture and from a functionality standpoint, it works. If you can deal with the look of the fixture, I do think it will last for years (certainly worth the $300 price tag for the 48") and you can do some modifications to tidy it up. I grabbed it because it wouldnt be visible and it would also be easy to slide out of the way during maintenance. 

Yeah that's also something I've considered. It's just the T5s give me far better spread and doesn't create shadows where my current light does so that's why I'm mostly interested. Maybe if I add 1or 2 additional LED fixtures it wouldn't be an issue.

I've always like T5 and other than the flat look, they really dont have any negatives. With that said, I think the shading many people complain about is blown WAY out of proportion in regard to SPS health. If it's the aesthetics of the shadows that bug you, fair enough. I personally love them because it adds more depth and dimension to the display and the shadows of the fish on the rock and sand just make it that much more life-like. 

The below image was over exposed to show the underside of the coral. While the colony is far from large today, there still isnt any necrosis on the underside of this coral. The experiment is dead in the water now that the AquaticLife fixture is over the tank but I just dont buy the notion that shading is remotely the issue some believe it to be. I believe flow is exponentially more important and in that regard. 

29 Dec 2017

24513415517_703d7b3906_b.jpg

9 June 2018

28820724878_a425135727_b.jpg

+1 for T5/LED combo. I run T5 Actinics with MH and absolutely love them. Run LED on Frag tank with great growth. The combo would be awesome.

Pictures? Still running the dual bowfronts?

I think you get a lot for the money with the fixture and from a functionality standpoint, it works. If you can deal with the look of the fixture, I do think it will last for years (certainly worth the $300 price tag for the 48") and you can do some modifications to tidy it up. I grabbed it because it wouldnt be visible and it would also be easy to slide out of the way during maintenance.

I've always like T5 and other than the flat look, they really dont have any negatives. With that said, I think the shading many people complain about is blown WAY out of proportion in regard to SPS health. If it's the aesthetics of the shadows that bug you, fair enough. I personally love them because it adds more depth and dimension to the display and the shadows of the fish on the rock and sand just make it that much more life-like.

The below image was over exposed to show the underside of the coral. While the colony is far from large today, there still isnt any necrosis on the underside of this coral. The experiment is dead in the water now that the AquaticLife fixture is over the tank but I just dont buy the notion that shading is remotely the issue some believe it to be. I believe flow is exponentially more important and in that regard.

29 Dec 2017

24513415517_703d7b3906_b.jpg

9 June 2018

28820724878_a425135727_b.jpg

Yeah it's definitely an aesthetic thing for me, I don't like all the dark spots between rocks or ridges. That and the sharpness makes it hard to look at certain colored corals. We'll see how I feel after seeing the T5 tanks.

Also I do see what you mean by the look, and I like how the ATI looks like 10x more. Strongly considering just switching based on the aesthetic only since it's in the living room. That and the cords on opposite sides might look a bit too messy snaking everywhere

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The only thing that will change about my lighting will be the addition of a Reef Brite XHO, which will integrate seamlessly with the ATI. 

41285661562_54f622b3ee_h.jpg