550 Gallon 120x36x30 In-Wall w/ Side Views + Fish Room

I'm not sure how you'd use a 4th hole as a manifold feed.  If you were setting it up as a Beananimal 3-drain overflow design then one of them is a full siphon and has lots of flow all the time, one is dry all the time, and one has a trickle of water all the time.  Not sure where a 4th would fit in to that plan since the point of the design is to use a valve on the full siphon pipe to balance the system out and a 4th pipe would seem to make the water level in the overflow box and therefore the amount of water flowing down the full siphon pipe variable.

I initially had a 4th hole in my overflow box area and used it to plumb a center return pipe in through the overflow box.  It didn't turn out well because I had it pointing straight down to blow off the area behind the rocks.  I hadn't considered the fact that now the water would siphon down to that point and drain half the tank. lol.  I removed it.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how you'd use a 4th hole as a manifold feed.  If you were setting it up as a Beananimal 3-drain overflow design then one of them is a full siphon and has lots of flow all the time, one is dry all the time, and one has a trickle of water all the time.  Not sure where a 4th would fit in to that plan since the point of the design is to use a valve on the full siphon pipe to balance the system out and a 4th pipe would seem to make the water level in the overflow box and therefore the amount of water flowing down the full siphon pipe variable.

I initially had a 4th hole in my overflow box area and used it to plumb a center return pipe in through the overflow box.  It didn't turn out well because I had it pointing straight down to blow off the area behind the rocks.  I hadn't considered the fact that now the water would siphon down to that point and drain half the tank. lol.  I removed it.

I was thinking of a second siphon - maybe a 1” to feed a different part of the system. That would be on top of the standard BeanAnimal siphon. Unless there are other clever ideas of how to use a second siphon, I guess I can mix the idea.

Sump Update:

I selected local builder PimpedOutAquariums to build my custom sump. I have a 72" length for my steel stand so I went with 70" for wiggle room. Option for socks, but I'll probably skip those other than for times when I'm cleaning the tank and stirring up stuff. There a lot of bulkheads, as I will have my display tank drains (right side) and then Refugium and Frag Tank returns coming into the sump. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 10.01.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 10.01.27 PM.png

Are you sure you don’t want a refugium or live rock section? Also, I know you don’t care about them that much, but 2 7” socks are going to clog up really quickly. I use 2 7” mesh socks and they last maybe 3 days before they start overflowing.

Just now, wangspeed said:

Are you sure you don’t want a refugium or live rock section? Also, I know you don’t care about them that much, but 2 7” socks are going to clog up really quickly. I use 2 7” mesh socks and they last maybe 3 days before they start overflowing.

Live rock and refugium section will be a separate 40G breeder. I attached my layout which explains it a little better. There is an in-line frag tank, as well as a "Noah's Ark" frag tank that will isolated as a backup in case I do something really stupid in the display tank.

The sock trays will likely only be used when I'm cleaning (vacuuming) the display tank and sand/detritus gets kicked up. 200 micron socks usually last me 4-5 days, and full mesh much longer, but I don't plan to use them much either way. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 10.46.54 PM.png

• 6 months later...

Thanks guys! It is really coming along now! Aside from Pepco (who totally dropped the ball on my power installation) - there haven't been too many hiccups. 

The tank is supposed to be delivered around October 1st. It has seemed like an eternity, and now it's 2 weeks away!! I'll probably have it delivered and inspected later in the week, with a tank-raising on Saturday/Sunday. 

Did I read somewhere that the club has suction cups that can be loaned/rented out? It's dawning on me now that my buddy and I will need help moving this thing onto the stand!! :biggrin:

This looks amazing!!!!  What an awesome, well-thought out build.  I love the progress you're making, the drains, the morning room tank views.... like all of it.  I can't wait to see what you end up doing with this tank!  Please tell me you're having a Tank Reveal Party!

I might have missed this, but do you have a fish QT system?  I thought I saw it before, but didn't see it in the last drawing....

15 hours ago, AlanM said:

Yes. They are usually in storage in McLean. Let me know when you need them and we can make plans to get them to you.

That's so awesome! Do you happen to know how many cups there are? I think I'll need about 12 to move this things safely. It's not a far distance from garage to fish room, but I want to do it safely

8 hours ago, TrueTricia said:

This looks amazing!!!!  What an awesome, well-thought out build.  I love the progress you're making, the drains, the morning room tank views.... like all of it.  I can't wait to see what you end up doing with this tank!  Please tell me you're having a Tank Reveal Party!

I might have missed this, but do you have a fish QT system?  I thought I saw it before, but didn't see it in the last drawing....

The QT system is probably going to be a 40G Breeder -- I'm just not sure where it's going to go yet. Nothing is going under the tank so there is plenty of room there, but I also plan to have a step/bridge most of the time for access, so I'm not sure if that would block it too much. 

A tank reveal party -- that's genius! I may have to make it work where whomever lends a hand to move the tank into place gets pizza, beer/wine, and then an invite to the reveal party a month later -- along with a free frag! I need to find 9-10 people to help me move this thing somehow! :) 

• 3 weeks later...

The polyurea floor is in! 

Now I just have to keep the painters from getting paint all over it. They spray coat the baseboards, but they aren't the most accurate...

Drain in the middle for water changes and those "Uh oh" moments!

IMG_0155.jpg

Sorry, I hadn't noticed your question.  I believe there are 8 cups all together.  It should probably be enough with effort if we can roll/side it to the stand and just lift it straight up.  It would be uncomfortable to carry down the hall.

Sounds like you're going to have to have a tank lifting party.  There have been a few of those in my memory and they end up being fun with lots of pictures and, we hope, minimal mishaps.

Truly large tank lifts happen rarely enough that they're exciting, and I'm definitely in to help if I can.

Wonder if you could rent a couple of scissor lift tables to get it up to the stand height.